New and Improved High Impact Assignment
This project combines 3 class assignments into one.
Before, each student had to do an interview and take a health history from and adult and then from a child. And write it up in addition to the paper above. ( 15 points each)
The Physical Assessment Course is a Lab class and enrollment is limited to 14 students. Each group will have 3- 4 students.
Each student will be assigned a group.
Each group will be assigned a “family” to assess and write cultural and health promotion paper about.
These groups have large sub groups we will focus on one group.
Asian – Chinese Americans
Hispanic – Mexican Americans
Black Americans – Africans who ancestry comes from US not Islands
Orthodox Jewish – Hassid Group
1. Each group will have to interview family members and obtain a health history. You will “make a visit” to the home by visiting the group Discussion site on Bb
Data for each family member will be listed.
If any information is missing or you would like additional information you will have to e-mail the family. (in reality, the Professor) and ask the questions you need. Allow time for this when planning. 15 points
2. After obtaining the relevant Health History each group will do a Physical Assessment of their family in Lab. Dates and times TBA
Physical Data and body systems to be assessed will be given day of Assessment. (10 points)
Rubrics for Physical Assessment Exam (in Syllabus) will be used.
3. In the meantime you should be RESEARCHING your culture using Purnell’s wheel as a guide.. A 7-10 page APA style research paper will be due (see above for )Guidelines for Culture Paper. You will write a Health Promotion Plan for your family using a problem your group uncovered during the assessment. This problem should reflect a problem listed in Healthy People 2020. ( 25 points)
RUBRIC for the Culture/Health Promotion Paper That I will add to above information
Please use minimum 6 of the 10 sub parts of Purnell’s Cultural Assessment in you paper explaining your culture and how there sub parts affect the topic you are choosing to work on in the health promotion piece.
Subparts of culture:
Communication, nutrition, sexuality, family role, physical or mental illness, pain, spirituality, childbearing/ childrearing, death &dying. (6 points)
Evaluation Criteria. Provide complete information about the following:
(1) Family Assessment. This step requires the analysis and organization of information about the family. . Be sure to factor in cultural considerations that are specific to that client/family such as ethnicity and religion. It will be necessary to factor in any information about the client’s level of development as well. It may be necessary for the nurse to motivate the client in order for learning to take place. Be sure to assess client’s ability to learn, domains of learning, and effective communication (5) points).
(2) Planning. This step requires formulation of client/family goals. Take the client’s point of view into consideration, as input will have an effect on outcomes. Nursing diagnoses are necessary to have behavioral goals. Goals must be realistic, able to be achieved by the client, and measurable/observable. Identify how the health promotion plan will be carried out. Implement the plan according the client’s learning style and cultural belief system (5 points).
(3) Determine Method of Implementation of the health promotion plan The method of implementation of the nursing client-teaching plan should be specific to the family’s assessed needs and cultural considerations as well as desired outcomes that were identified. (5 points).
) Correct APA Style, including cover page, citations/references, reference page, abstract (2 point).
Written clarity, as well as appropriate grammar, punctuation and sentence structure (2 point).
4. A. Group assessment – Please assess how your group functioned?
Below are a list of Task Roles people play in a group – in a small group some may
have more than one role
- Initiator-contributor: Generates new ideas.
- Information-seeker: Asks for information about the task.
- Opinion-seeker: Asks for the input from the group about its values.
- Information-giver: Offers facts or generalization to the group.
- Opinion-giver: States his or her beliefs about a group issue.
- Elaborator: Explains ideas within the group, offers examples to clarify ideas.
- Orienter: Shifts the direction of the group’s discussion.
- Evaluator-critic: Measures group’s actions against some objective standard.
- Energizer: Stimulates the group to a higher level of activity.
- Recorder: Keeps a record of group actions.
B. . Another group evaluation a social roles. Who in the group played one or more of these roles?
- Encourager: Praises the ideas of others.
- Harmonizer: Mediates differences between group members.
- Compromiser: Moves group to another position that is favored by all group members.
- Gatekeeper/expediter: Keeps communication channels open.
- Standard Setter: Suggests standards or criteria for the group to achieve.
- Group observer: Keeps records of group activities and uses this information to offer feedback to the group.
- Follower: Goes along with the group and accepts the group’s ideas.
C. What was your role in the group?
Do you think your group was effective?
What could have been done differently?
These roles place the group member above the group and are destructive to the group.
Did anyone in the group engage in this type of behavior?
- Aggressor: Attacks other group members, deflates the status of others, and other aggressive behavior.
- Blocker: Resists movement by the group.
- Recognition seeker: Calls attention to himself or herself.
- Self-confessor: Seeks to disclose non-group related feelings or opinions.
- Dominator: Asserts control over the group by manipulating the other group members.
- Help seeker: Tries to gain the sympathy of the group.
- Special interest pleader: Uses stereotypes to assert his or her own prejudices.
Group Assessment and self – assessment 5 points.
•This was the OLD Assignment
Percent of Theory Grade: 20%.
•Paper Title: Cultural Assessment& Health Promotion Plan for ________( chosen culture ) •
•Purpose: Students will write a paper that explores the practices, beliefs, and customs of a culture, NOT YOUR OWN which will serve to strengthen cultural competency in interviewing, history taking and planning to promote health in diverse clinical settings in the USA. Students will write a health promotion plan that may (acknowledge/ close the gap in disparities in health care in the USA.)
The health problem will come from leading health problems of the culture you are assessing. In keeping with the leading health indicators of Healthy People 2020.•
see power point Bb for outline and indicators and link to Healthy People 2020
Healthy People 2020-Understanding and Improving Health
Background Information-Source (http://web.health.gov/healthypeople)
Healthy People 2020 Goals
The goals of Healthy People 2020 are designed to achieve two goals:
- Increase years of life (life expectancy) and quality of life.
a) Life expectancy can be achieved by helping individuals gain knowledge, motivation and opportunities they need to make informed decisions about their health.
b) Quality of life reflects a general sense of happiness and satisfaction
with our lives and environment. General quality of life encompasses
all aspects of life, including health, recreation, culture, rights, values ,
beliefs, aspirations, and the conditions that support a life containing
- Eliminate health disparities among segments of the population, including differences that occur by gender, race or ethnicity, education or income, disability, geographic location, or sexual orientation.
Premise: “The health of the individual is closely linked to community health-the health of the community and environment in which individuals live, work, and play. Likewise, community health is profoundly affected by the collective beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors of every one who lives in the community.”
LEADING HEALTH OBJECTIVES
- Physical Activity
- Nutrition and Weight Status
- Tobacco Use
- Substance Abuse
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Mental Health and Mental Disorders
- Injury and Violence Prevention
- Environmental Health
- Immunization and Infectious Diseases
- Access to Health Services
•APA Style must be used for :
7 to 10 page paper (max. do not go over) Including Abstract.
•Fontt 10 -point/Style-Times New Roman
•A running head-the name of the culture and leading health indicator reported
•References : newer than 3 years & not older than 5 (unless it is classic or seminal paper.)
•3-5 references -research articles must be used.< Evidence based practice>
APA style must be used. Follow link on Bb to Library for exemplar of APA paper.
Choose ONE disease/illness affecting the culture.
Write a section on the role of RN in helping with disease management/ teaching/ etc.,
(in that culture,) taking into account that cultures specific needs R/T communication/ nutrition etc.
In the original assignment there is was no grading rubric on how the 20 points are “broken down” Please note in Nursing we are NOT a Democracy- the course coordinator makes the assignments and exams- only in theory do other faculty teaching the class have a say .
So in the “new and improved version” not only do I want to include High impact practices for student engagement and learning but I want to create clearer ASSESSMENT so I am trying on a rubric but I think I need some help at making it clear and concise.
Thanks to anyone who will take this on and read and comment on it!