Faculty members will consider the high impact practice of field-based collaborative research and plan the implementation of this practice in one course that he or she will teach in the fall of 2012.
- Use the arts, sciences and humanities as a forum for the study of values, ethical principles, and the physical world
- Work with teams, including those of diverse composition. Build consensus
- Show ability to contribute actively by applying knowledge to the identification and analysis of societal and professional problems to enact solutions.
- Participation in the OpenLab
- Participation in group discussion during seminars
- Development of and implementation of a group project including field based collaborative research during spring 2012
- Creation of, with intention to implement, course syllabi of a second year course in fall 2012 including field based collaborative research
Bean, J. C. (2001). Engaging ideas. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Feynman, R. (1985). Surely you’re joking Mr. Feynman!: Adventures of a curious character. New York: W.W. norton & Company.
Kahneman, D. (2011). Thinking, fast and slow. New York: Farrar, Straus and Girous.
Kuh, G. (2008). High-impact educational practices. Washington, DC: Association of American Colleges and Universities.
Summerfield, J. (2007). The project: Common/uncommon ground. In J. Summerfield, & C. Benedicks, Reclaiming the public university: conversations on general & liberal education (pp. 3-30). New York: Peter Lang.
Wiggins, G. &. J. McTighe (2006). Understanding by Design. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.
- Work in teams to design a research experience for the seminar fellows
- Develop and present a field based collaborative research project to be implemented into a fall 2012 second year course (see page 5).
- Present at the Faculty Research Conference at City Tech
- Present at the Cue Conference, College of Staten Island
Meeting Schedule: Meetings will be held in Faculty Commons except where noted. Meeting Times are subject to change with advanced notification.
1.27.12, 9:00am-2:00pm Introduction
- Discussion of the Title V Grant, a Living Laboratory, and the role of the Second Year Fellows (SYF)
- Introduction of Seminar projects
- Group Activity
Required Reading: Feynman, 1 article chosen from Bibliography
2.3.12, 9:15am-2:00pm, (Meet in A632, Faculty Lounge) (Bring Bag Lunch) General Education Meeting/Group Discussion
- Introduction to, group discussion of and activity with the City Tech General Education Committee
- Introduction to available resources for field based collaborative research
- Coordination of teams for Seminar projects, faculty groups will begin planning of research experiences
Guest Lecturers: Bonne August, Anne Leonard, Richard Hanley and Mark Hellerman, Required Reading:
- Bean, chapters 2 & 7
- Wiggins & McTighe, review book to become familiar with content
2.10.12, 12:00pm-3:00pm (Bring Bag Lunch)
Assessment Strategies, lead by members of AIR
- Introduction to Assessment and Institutional Research (AIR)
- Small group consultation with AIR
Guest Lecturer: Tammie Cummings
- Bean, chapters 6 & 9
- Wiggins & McTighe, Reading TBD
2.17.12 Independent Study
2.24.12, 9:15am-2:00pm, (Meet in A632, Faculty Lounge)
High Impact Practices/ Group Discussion
- Monica Devanas: “High Impact Strategies to Engage Students in Effective Learning”
- Judith Summerfield: “The General Education Project”
- · Kuh, PDF on OpenLab site
- · Summerfield, PDF on OpenLab site
- · Wiggins & McTighe, Reading TBD
3.2.12, 9:30-2 (Meet in Atrium Amphitheater)
Assessment Seminar/ Committee Group Work
Rough draft of syllas due
- Bean, chapter 15
- Kahneman, review book to become familiar with parts 1 & 2
3.9.12 Independent Study
3.16.12 Group 1 Seminar (Readings and Location TBD by group)
3.23.12 Group 2 Seminar (Reading and Location TBD by group)
3.30.12 Independent Study – Note: City Tech Faculty Research Conference today
4.20.12 Group 3 Seminar (Reading and Location TBD by group)
4.27.12 Group 4 Seminar (Reading and Location TBD by group)
5.4.12 Independent Study
5.11.12, 9:30am-5:00pm General Education Conference, College of Staten Island, CUNY
5.18.12, 9:30am-1:00pm (Location TBD)
Presentations of field based collaborative research project
to be implemented into second year, fall 2012 course