Words to Change Our World with Prof. Sarah Schmerler

Nervous & Appreciating life

One word I can say I feel about this course is nervous. I remember that a few weeks ago I was excited that this class wasn’t marked “Online” on CUNYfirst because I would be able to see the school for the first time. One day I had a feeling I should check Cunyfirst again because it didn’t sit right with me that all of my other classes was online and this is the only one that was on campus. I checked and BAM it saw it was online. I don’t know why I didn’t feel sad about it, I guess it was because I knew that it would happen or I just gotten used to the fact that I have to online again for a whole semester (possibly more).  I’m actually really nervous about doing online classes because from March till June I had a rude awakening and realized I realllyy don’t like online classes and it’s hard for me to focus, but hopefully this time is different and I can enjoy it.

I chose this picture because I remember when I was at this park (for those who may want to know what it is: Canarsie piers)  It was a late evening with my family and we was laughing, talking and my niece was running around playing, and it started getting  dark. I sat and admired the sunset so much that taking this picture almost didn’t fly through my thoughts, but I’m glad it did because I was able to not only capture an beautiful image but feelings I had  watching this sunset with my family.  I felt a sense of hope and appreciation for the life I have and the people I surround myself with.

1. Geneva Gee

Hi Abigail,

With the way things are right now it definitely sucks that we can’t meet everyone in person. I really hope I’ll be able to focus properly too! The picture of the sunset looks stunning; I love how the gradient of the sky looks.

• Abigail

Yes, I hope I really focus this semester. The sunset was really a sight to see in person.

2. Delilah Wilson

Oh my goodness yes! It’s something about being at the pier by the water that makes me feel so at ease. A sunset brings a great sense of well-being especially when your around the people you love. Have you ever went to Brooklyn Bridge Park? It’s so beautiful.

• Abigail

Yes I have been to BBP, but only in the day time. I bet at night it looks amazing with the city lights coming from manhattan and the bridge lighting up

3. Karla Franco

Hi Abigail!

I can definitely relate to the excitement of seeing this class not marked “online” then the slight disappointment felt when realizing that this class would not be in person. Better to be safe than sorry though! I hope you have a different experience with online learning this time and you enjoy it. With such a beautiful image I am glad you were able to capture so many fun memories.

• Abigail

Yes , safety first. Thank you, I did have some fun!

4. Sarah Schmerler

Love the photo and also the fact that you took the time with us to reflect.
    Also that you tell us it is Canarsie Piers.

• Abigail

Thank you!!!