“The first draft is the child’s draft, where you let it all pour out and then let it romp all over the place, knowing that no one is going to see it and that you can shape it later. You just let this childlike part of you channel whatever voices and visions come through and onto the page.”

“For me and most of the other writers I know, writing is not rapturous. In fact, the only way I can get anything written at all is to write really, really shitty first drafts.”

“Now, practically even better news than that of short assignments is the idea of shitty first drafts. All good writers write them. This is how they end up with good second drafts and terrific third drafts. ”

Lamott says that the first draft is more of a process. She continues to explain that it is more of you just writing down your ideas and to get it done with. I can relate to this because whenever I am writing a first draft I tend to just keep writing whether it’s useful or not I just put it that way I won’t have to stop and think whether I want to include that on later drafts. It can somewhat relate to the first quote above from Lamott “You just let this childlike part of you channel whatever voices and visions come through and onto the page.” I tend to do exactly that whenever I am writing about a topic, whatever comes to my mind whether it’s a good or bad thing about the topic. Lamott also mentions that the second draft is suppose to build upon draft one for example, I stated how draft 1 is more of your ideas and really unorganized however draft 2 is when you sort it out and see where you place this and that. Which also means that the 2nd or final draft is more about the product and how good it is like grammar, facts, organization, neatness, etc.