Where I’m From

Where I’m  from, the carribean vibe is obviously present, with the many island tongues becoming one as they flow from the mouths of the young and old. The area is a flux of pride and appreciation of one’s own roots.

Where I’m from, the police stalk the rooftops to search for that one guy who held up the woman for her money on east 31st. They hunt like hounds, waiting rack up in order to meet that months quota.

Where I’m from, children stalk the streets in droves, trying to emulate the older and wiser individuals who may or may not be wannabe gangsters and thugs, trying to live a life they really don’t want to be about.These children, no more than 10 years of age, try to emulate the wrong part of their environment, and unknowingly fall into a negative status quo.

Where I’m from, the witnesses of jehovah come into your building, trying to entice you with the word of their God as you are preparing to attend a service, a service that will render a different rendition of their same God.

Where I’m from, East Flatbush is the call to home. It’s where many people return to from a hard day at work to barely make enough for the ever growing rent. People mind their own business and go on with their lives, secretly interested in the lives of others as well.

This entry was posted in ENG 1101, Homework. Bookmark the permalink.