“Stiil to be neat” by Ben Jonson

I believe that the poet is trying to convey that a young lady that dresses up and her appearance is like if she’s going to a party or something big and elegant. He says tht this young lady is covered up with make-up, and is trying to hide her real imperfection.

Trying to transmit that if she has low self esteem and tries to be perfect acting this way. The author is converting that its not necessary to cover up her cause he prefers simplicity.

2 Responses to “Stiil to be neat” by Ben Jonson

1. ashleygp says:

Hello Moriama, My name is Ashley and I am enrolled in an english class also (introduction to poetry, prof. Gold). Our assignment this week is to visit another class and participate in a discussion. (Hope you don’t mind that I comment on your post).

I read the poem “Still to be Neat” by Ben Johnson. I agree with your post about the author’s preference for simplicity. My perception of the poem was slightly different. I viewed the poem as directed to a woman who is confining to society’s expectations of how a “lady” should dress and act. The author expresses his awareness of all the efforts of the woman to be socially acceptable. The last line of the poem “They strike mine eyes, but not my heart” portrays the fact that although the woman’s efforts are physically appealing, they are unaffective on the viewer’s heart. Regardless of how this woman dresses, acts, speaks, smells, and walk the view knows nothing about her. His heart (assuming the speaker is a man) is not impressed by these actions. What do you think?

2. dianam712 says:

I agree with Ashleygp. Society has set standards on how women should present themselves on a regular daily basis. Even if you were going out food shopping or running errands, a lady should, as it says on line 1-2, “still to be dressed, as you were going to a feast”. The poet see’s these women are fancy in their dresses and elegant style but he also see’s that looks could be deceiving. The poet says, “Robes loosly flowing, hair as free, such sweet neglect more taketh me (9-10).” Clearly the woman that has high standards that he’s talking about are stunning in every way. Except, he says, “they strike my eyes, but not my heart (12).” They’re amazing to look at but their intellects doesn’t match his expectations. They probably focus on being so neat and gorgeous that they their stuck up, or their just simply not for him.