An introduction to my life

Hello! My name is Keila Torres. I currently live in Brooklyn and I am of Puerto-Rican descent. I have been employed now for 5 years in a nonprofit organization working with people who have developmental disabilities, such as Down syndrome or Cerebral palsy. They are family to me now, even coming over to my house to watch wrestle mania or enjoying kris kringles together. In fact, I would recommend reading the essay “Welcome to Holland” by Emily Kingsley, a mother of a Down syndrome child (for anyone interested). Working with different communities of people have spurred a passion for me to enter the nursing work field. I am also at Citytech to finish my LAS degree. I enjoy reading and learning about different literary works, especially the time period or life experiences that affected the authors when writing. I love when a piece of writing can have such a profound effect on your day or even your outlook. One of my favorite quotes is “Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” I am excited to learn more about women writers in this course, and I hope that i can bring some value to the course as well!

1 thought on “An introduction to my life

1. Welcome, Keila, and thank you for suggesting a reading to give us more insight into your interests! I hope that this course offers you the kind of vantage point you would get from climbing that proverbial mountain. We will read some challenging works, but they will certainly have an impact on the way we think about writing, about culture, and about the world around us. I look forward to meeting you tomorrow and getting to know you throughout the semester.