Trouble heart:Story of an hour

The short story by Kate Chopin symbolizes independence. As the story starts, it states that Mrs. Mallard is suffering from a heart trouble, this foreshadows what later kills her, a heart disease of joy that kills. In my opinion I believe her heart trouble represent her unhappiness and forbidden pleasure for independence. In the story Mrs. Mallard can only experience freedom privately. After hearing that her husband as passed away, Mrs. Mallard at first weeps but then went away privately to her room.

As she look out the window of her room she saw “trees that were all aquiver with the new spring life”.Like the trees Louise was mentally excited to take on her new life without her husband who she loves “sometimes”. In there she thought silently of how her life has gradually changed in minutes. For once in her life she felt liberated and excited to make her own decisions. She sees her life as absolutely hers and her new freedom as the essence of her being, she felt “free,free,free!”.

When Louise saw the return of her husband she might of felt extremely disappointment. The joy she felt was taken away so quickly, her independence is taken away. As Chopin states at the end of the story, Mrs. Mallard dies of heart disease of joy that kills. This goes back to the beginning of the story when Chopin mention Louise have heart problems.imageimage

1 thought on “Trouble heart:Story of an hour

1. I liked your interpretation of the story. I also believe that Mrs. Mallards heart problem was foreshadowing the upcoming events. I also agree with your interpretation of Mrs. Mallards view of the trees.