Week 11: There is no “I” in Team

Working with other people has always been a challenge for me, but I did get better since my last class project where I had to team up with another classmate. This week, I had to use what I learned in team work when Mr. Eyal introduced me to another intern who will be working with us on Fridays. It is really hard for me to start a project and not finish it, but to have someone else work on a project while I’m working on it, really stresses me out.

I take my work very seriously and I become territorial and competitive and I know it is problematic in the design field where you have to work with people all the time. A speaker who came to New York City College of Technology for a session of “Meet the Pros” touched on this subject and what he said stuck with me. He said “Stop saying what you like and what you don’t like because not everybody is going to like everything you make, you will not like everything you make. Focus on what works for the project and for the company, not what works for you.”

Mr. Eyal wanted us to work on a poster that will have hand written typography and he wanted us to do some sketches.

20151205_151456

This poster is going to be sent out to clients informing them about Mdrn. Residential new location and inviting them to an office warming party. Once we were done with the sketches, we compared our work and chose which ones were going to be on the poster. I am proud to say that I was respectful, professional, and not so critical. I accepted others opinions in a mature manner and in the end Mr. Eyal chose something’s out of both our sketch books and we were able to create a mock up of the poster together. I say all this because this is a huge step for me as a professional designer. When working with others my character really changes for the worse and the fact that I was able to handle myself in a professional and mature manner really made me see how much I had grown. I look forward to doing more collaborative work in the future.

About RachealJ

"Something for the more real, than real world behind the real" ~Andre Breton
This entry was posted in Internship 2015. Bookmark the permalink.