The gothic space I decided to do my project about is the basement at my job. For reference I work at a retail store in soho, originally the store at work at was a pop up until about a year ago so this retail space was used my another company. Some of my coworkers call this basement minus 3 because the third floor down. We don’t really use the basement for anything seeing as we have another space where all the restock of clothing items are housed. Ive only been down there for a split second about two times cause the space kinda creeps me out, almost reminds me of a scene out of Dexter(tv show). This space has a haunted characteristics to it first in my opinion starting with the sound of the steps like as you travel down, I feel like the sound gets louder and that’s probably because the steps are metal then if you look in the video the door it’s very old and it’s also made of metal and the handle looks a little weird. Then once you walk into the space there’s a bunch of sheets a plastic hunted up half way and some sheets on the floor and the old brick ways and the dirt on the floor, these things just create a chilling environment. I tried to compare this basement to the one in my apartment building but unfortunately the door was locked but because of this I was reminded of a scene in the first chapter titled ” The Story of the Door” in “The Strange case of Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde” specifically the part where Enfield tells Utterson about the incident between Hyde and the little girl he had trampled and the door Hyde disappeared into  get a check he uses to compensate the family for what he had done. This mystery with what’s behind the door and not exactly knowing reminded me of my basement because I’ve never actually been inside of it and it’s been a lot for so long but now that it’s locked and I want to see it I can’t. This in turn feels uncanny to me because although my basement is pretty scary to me its also somewhat a familiar space seeming as I’ve lived in the building for more than ten years, this feeling is also found in the basement at my job for similar reasons.

This is the door that leads into my basement.

Video

Video_1