The 1967 adaptation of “The taming of the shrew” directed by Franco Zeffirelli displays examples of egotistical empathy. Bapista is particular acts from a place that benefits him, that helps him get rid of the eldest daughter Katherine. He doesn’t hide it at all that he prefers Bianca, he shouts in from the streets in the beginning of the film. If it was altruistic empathy, Baptista he’d want his daughter to continue being herself, protect her from manipulation that Petruchio causes Katherine. Another character that I’d like to highlight is Petruchio who cares about his own wealth, and in the end that is what he receives he also accomplishes his goal of taming the shrew. Lucentio acts for love, butthis love is a lie from the start, he does it to have an advantage over the other men who are fighting for Bianca’s hand in marriage. It seems that none of the characters act from a place of selfness, they all act for personal gain. Their behavior demonstrates this in how they all act with one another, how they speak to each other. I’ve spoken about three of the men in the play, no women act from a place of any sort of empathy, I highly doubt they are allowed to either.