Tyrell Trower
10/11/2022
English Composition

My Place Of Peace
My intellectual home first starts with a quiet room with not a soul around me for my best focus
and concentration. For me knowing that someone else is in the room with me messes me up almost as
if I can feel their energy. Only my spirit needs to be there for when I’m working on homework. It’s
kind of a bad thing but that’s just how I am. My window needs to be open to receive sunlight because
it gives me a nostalgic feeling when I’m doing anything really. It gives me excitement as we know sun
also gives people energy as well so maybe that’s what going on. My dog is a big factor in focusing
because he knows when I’m doing homework. He sees my all my papers and books and 9/10 decides
to lay beside me through it. My dog is like my escape goat when I’m feeling tired or worried, I just rub
him. Which reminds me of Malcom X article. Malcom X was an African American man who was a
hoodlum in the streets until he was sentenced in prison for 7 years. In prison he began his journey of
trying to become intellectual with his words by reading the dictionary front to back actually using
these words. But his purpose for wanting to speak better was to impress someone he deemed important
and influential in his eyes who was Muslim like him. Without the small prison place he was in with his
cell mate , him learning wouldn’t be possible. Me and Malcom X is alike in that way because it took
him to be in a certain environment for him to tap in to a intellectual more side of him. Without going
to prison, he doesn’t become Malcom X that everyone knows. My silent room with no one in the room
is my sole purpose for wanting to do homework and without that room with sunlight and my dog next
to me it would be 10 times harder for me to work because to me it’s my place of peace.
The person that really gets me going is my mom. She’s the mom who always remind you to
study and do your homework all the time. She’s just always on top of things which forces me to get
things right and always make sure the things I need to get done first is complete. To the best of my
ability as well. Without her I would have slacked in high school, and never would have made honor
roll. In high school it was pretty easy for me to slip because of the different things that I was doing and
what was around me 24/7. It takes a strong person to not get persuaded by such things. At the time
honor roll was a 3.5 gpa average which is what I received. One homework slip and I receive a 3.4 gpa
which doesn’t allow to make honor roll which is why I’m always grateful to my mom because a lot of
that was her tough love and encouragement for me to not give up on reaching my honor roll goals. To
be honest honor roll was my motivation in the first place because I just chased a feeling that I’ve
always wanted when I see people walk up to the stage once they call they name and everyone is
clapping and proud of that person. A feeling that I definitely wanted to feel for myself and was
determined to get there no matter the cost or things that I needed to sacrifice in order to do so.. Which
reminds me of Salvator Scibonas article because he got his motivation from his friend who was going
to college across the country. He saw where she was going and wanted to go to college there as well.
He applied and somehow managed to get called to enter even though before he wasn’t that good of a
student and didn’t care about school really. He began reading way more than he usually did once he
learned and began reading top reading level books. For him his motivation and first reason to reading a
lot was a student, for me it was my mom he encouraged me to be In my books heavy and do my
homework and focus in class at an extremely high level.
For me to get the best out of city tech I simply need a new environment that enjoy being at a lot
which is by the grass at the beach but it’s actually really cold outside right now. I’m now an adult so I
need to learn how to hold myself account and regain that same drive to be an honor roll student I did in
high school. I can’t depend on my mom anymore because I’m older now and she doesn’t make me do
things anymore. She’s sees if I have the drive to do so myself because in the future when I become a
fully grown man no one will be there for me but me. I have to learn how to hold myself accountable
for my own actions. Whether that be watching YouTube videos on motivation which really tends to
help me, or looking up ways to be more motivated in school to give me reasoning for being my best when it comes to college. A chapter I’m not all the way used to yet.