Ubaiduloeva Zarrina

English 1101, Prof. Scanlan

Date: 03/26/2021

Divorce in the different cultures.

Introduction:

Why do people divorce? What are the main reasons that lead to divorce? What kind of challenges they are facing during the marriage life? What year of marriage is divorce most common? Does culture affect divorce? What is the highest and lowest divorce rate? Nowadays, divorce, which has been very common in today’s societies, is the major cause that leads to family breakdown. However, in some cases, divorce is the only solution for a family to live in peace and live their life happy. When marriage life of a couple become intolerable, the woman and man may think, that divorce is the only fair solution for both of them to live their life happily and the way they wanted. Each society has different culture of divorcement. Commonly, divorce is universally seen as something negative across many cultures. For instance, cultures that focus on collective identity tend to perceive divorce as a failure of societal duties that results from a personal weakness and flaw. The family and community especially, Middle East of Asia, looks down on and sometimes blames the couple for not trying hard enough.  According to the article “India has the lowest divorce rate in the world: Countries with lowest and highest divorce rates” published inIndia Today, November 20, 2018, describes that India has the lowest divorce rate. India has less than 1 percent divorce rate. Moreover, the article of India Today states, that the Global divorce rate increased up to 251,8% since 1960. Every year, world organizations such as UN record Global divorce rates. On the other hand, according to the UN, the country with the highest divorce rate is Maldives.

In this research essay of Annotated Bibliography, I am expected to find more information about divorce in different cultures and how the culture affect divorce. I will try to find out the reasons of divorce and the difficulties which couple is facing during the marriage. Moreover, I am expected to give new statistics about divorce rate (the highest and lowest rate) and divorce notion/concept in each culture. Lastly, I will get personal interview by phone with my mother to ask her opinion about divorce.