Professor Medford’s lecture on video

After having a close look  at “Professor Medford’s lecture on video”, it quite  didn’t effect my views on  Wilentz but it did make me think more deeper about Hannah Jones’ writing in the “The 1619 Project”. In Hannah Jones, she mentions Thomas Jefferson and James Madison accountable for their actions in the wrong treatment of African Americans. Also makes a statement that the proclamation he allowed ex slaves to join the union army and fight against their former owners. Hannah Jones, she mentions, “He believed that free black people were a ‘‘troublesome presence’’ incompatible with a democracy intended only for white people”. In this part of her writing piece, she also involves  Lincoln’s actions to bring in the former slaves and inform them that he was able to get congress to acquire funds to ship black people once freed to a whole other country. This wasn’t sufficient enough. A question rises up “Why would President Lincoln insist in a war for their freedom in America just to be shipped to another country for their efforts? Already knowing about this, it also me was mentioned in Professor Medford’s video where she says that Lincoln did not want to originally include black men in the military because they wouldn’t be strong enough to stand up against their former owners on the battlefield. She also then says “He found out very quickly that black men were anything but cowards and that they were spoiling for a fight”. According to me , I believe that  he was very dismayed in what America has become and he knew that even, the time of African Americans was still being treated wrongly within America but he wanted to make sure that equality was written truthfully within the lines of the constitution.