Reflection #3- Hannah Jones

Do you consider yourself an American? When I receive that type of question, I will always say yes. Why? Because I was born in an American country. Yet, people would find my answer too vague. There are many reasons of how why that happens. People do not realize that the term “American” is not for identifying themselves as natives from the United States. That is not the case.”American” means to have been born and raised in the American continent. In my case, part of my ancestors’ background is from the Mayans. The Mayans were a Native American tribe. As part of history, Native Americans are the authentic Americans. Therefore, I partly have the right to call myself an American.

Nevertheless, my point is not about where are my ancestors come from but to define, “who can be an American?” However, I feel that the contradiction that the title “American” makes to people varies on the way they use it. I have heard of cases where people who had been identifying as Americans were not born in the American continent. Although, it could make if their parents might have born in anywhere of the American continent. To sum up, I could say that the United States of America can not be called as America as a whole thing.

In relationship with the 1619 project by Hannah-Jones, she talked about the “idea of America” and what it means for African Americans. Hannah-Jones agreed with and supported the “idea of America” freedom by how African Americans contributed to it.  I believe that Hanna-Jones not only emphasized their race or the achievements they have made for themselves. African Americans throughout much of America’s history helped future minorities, which we know today. Moreover, they had to suffer a lot to allow communities like Asian, European, Middle Eastern, and Latin America to enjoy their privileges now. One example of these called privileges was the citizenship of the United States.

However, she condemns and disagrees with the “idea of America” when Abraham Lincoln tried to deal with four educated African American men to leave and “go back to Africa.” She did not agree about how much her people did for the United States of America, yet the same nation wanted to kick them out. Therefore, Hannah-Jone’s point matched what I mentioned before, who has the right to be an American. The reason is because it is fair enough to judge why the white people, who came from a European country like Britain, would like to kick another group that came from another continent. Yet, just because of the so-called “raced,” white people just wanted to look superior on African Americans and make them leave as nothing.

But, we can not forget how much African Americans have done in the past. As she mentioned in the essay, they suffered  400 hundred years of discrimination to make the country progress as it is in the present day. Thanks to them, immigrants can have the citizenship of the United States, which allows them to pursue their dreams. Or maybe not only that, but it also let them be called “Americans.”