STEM Page 5

S51

Hi my name is Matthew Sanchez and the topic I am covering today is tissue engineering, my job was to study/determine an alternative approach to organ regeneration. In order to do so we used a mixture called PDMS to make replica tissue cell’s to test their stability and toxicity rates. In our results it showed that the PDMS samples can be prepared easily and as a result we can get a perfect 10:1 ratio with the solution, so our data is accurate towards achieving a closer approach to organ regeneration.

S52

Hi my name is Ibrahim Chouman and the topic I am covering today is tissue engineering, my job was to study/determine an alternative approach to organ regeneration. In order to do so we used a mixture called PDMS to make replica tissue cell’s to test their stability and toxicity rates. In our results it showed that the PDMS samples can be prepared easily and as a result we can get a perfect 10:1 ratio with the solution, so our data is accurate towards achieving a closer approach to organ regeneration.

S53

Have you ever wondered why your eyes are brown and your sibling’s eyes are blue; or, why are some people prone to a certain illness while others are not? Bio-engineering is on the frontier of genetically altering DNA material in humans to impact potential mutations that could lead to a host of diseases. Recently, geneticists pushed the limits of research by announcing the birth of babies whom they had genetically edited with CRISPR, and thereby violating many ethical standards of science. Based on digital media coverage of this event, we suggest the general public is either given minimal information to normalize this growing phenomenon or lacks informed ethical insight to consider the implications for the future of reproduction and humanity.

S54

The research on wages disparities between men and women is imperative to close a gap in society. This research relates the inequalities women face every day and how we can close those gaps. I preformed this research by analyzing previous studies in wages differences. Through my analysis of these studies I hope to get closer to find a solution in closing the wage gap. The research of this topic has importance to me because we if don’t find a solution to this gap women will not have the same progression of man in their careers. Leaving girls without role models to look up to, to perform jobs seen as mostly done by men. By bringing the same wages to women, economies can grow and other industries can expand.

S55

.

S56

S57

Hi, my name is Aseel Bazrouk and I am a student at the New York City College of Technology. I recently worked on a project with Professor David Lee. My research project is important because patients come from all different backgrounds and cultures so the way healthcare providers communicate with them to find out their needs to get the treatment necessary is crucial. They should be able to understand what is going on at their healthcare appointment. In my research I looked at different articles and techniques that were implemented to try to solve the problem. Some of the techniques used and discovered in these articles/studies were linguistic framework, discourse analysis, and critical discourse analysis. I found out that lack of cultural diversity in health communications have led to poor patient outcomes. The future steps that researchers and healthcare providers can take is implementing these techniques in more hospitals around the world and actually seeing how effective they are. We need the funding so we can implement them in different hospitals.

S58