Professor Kate Poirier | OL30 | Fall 2020

OpenLab assignment: introduce yourself!

Due by 11:59pm on Sunday, August 30.

Your first assignment is to add yourself to our OpenLab course and to submit a post according to the instructions below. Your post is Your post will count toward your participation grade.

Add yourself to our OpenLab course

1. If you haven’t already, sign up for an OpenLab account using your CityTech email address.
  2. After you’ve logged in, add yourself to our MAT 1575 course by clicking “join group.” (This is the course profile page; we won’t be using it again for the rest of the semester. Instead we’ll be using the course site.)

Submit a post introducing yourself

1. From the class OpenLab site you can create a new post by clicking the symbol that looks like a + sign inside a circle at the top of the screen.
    • You must be a member of the course in order to see the + sign at the top of the screen. If you don’t see it, head back to the course profile to add yourself to the group.
  2. Title your post “Introducing [your first name] [your last name].” (You may use just initials if you like, as long as there’s enough information for me to locate you on my official roster.)
  3. From the categories on the right-hand side of the screen, make sure to select “Introduce yourself” so that the rest of us can locate your post later.
  4. Tell us anything you’d like us to know about you! Write one paragraph with at least five sentences. Some suggestions are…
    • Your pronouns (examples: she/her/hers or he/him/his or they/them/theirs)
    • Your major
    • How you became interested in your major
    • Which math classes you’ll take after MAT 1575 (if you don’t know, you can check your program requirements in the college catalog here)
    • What you hope to do after you graduate from CityTech; short-term goals, long-term goals, whatever…
    • Other interests/hobbies you have
    • Something you’re good at
    • Something you’re proud of
    • Your favorite book
    • Your favorite animal
    • Only if you feel comfortable sharing, you may also let us know how the pandemic has affected you. What aspects of it have been difficult? What aspects of it have been surprising? Have you learned anything new? Has anything good happened that might not have otherwise? Do not share anything personal if you don’t want to.
  5. Remember that this post will be available publicly on the internet. Don’t include any private information or anything you’re not comfortable with sharing publicly. (Don’t include your phone number or any answers to security questions!)
  6. Read and comment on at least one your classmates’ posts. (Note: the administrator may have to approve your comments, so don’t worry if your comments don’t appear right away.)
  7. If you have anything private that you’d like to share with me but not with the whole class (for example, if you are to receive a testing accommodation through Student Support Services), please include this information when you complete the survey here.

1. tshorma

Hello my name is Tushar Shorma and im a computer engineering major and this is my 5th semester at city tech. The reason i choose such a math demanding major is because i love math and want to build on it further. Im really have a strong math foundation and wish to grow on top of that. I love to train, workout, play basketball and sometimes play video games when im free. Hope this semester goes well for everyone including myself and hope everyone is safe and well.

• Kate Poirier

Hi Tushar! I’m thrilled to hear you are excited for the semester. The assignment asks you to submit a new post, not to comment on this one. Could you please copy and paste your introduction here into a new post according to the instructions? Let me know if you need any help.

2. JAQUAWN MILLER

Hello My name is Jaquawn. I am a Mechanical Engineering student, Media business owner, part time trader, and tech enthusiast. I am primarily interested in this course to further my calc. I imagine myself creating “algos” to further technological advancement. ThereforeI can’t suck at math.

3. Ines Bissat

Hey Tushar. It’s nice knowing that you love math, I myself love math. I’m a mechanical engineering major which is math demanding as well. it’s always good to do outside activity like your doing with basketball. Good job!!

4. Imane

Hello, my name is Pougraoua Fatim Imane Sana, I go by Imane. This is my 1st semester as a sophomore. I am a civil engineering major. My favorite color is purple, I love parrots. My hobbies are swimming and playing tennis. I also love hanging out with my friends. I did not enjoy taking calculus I mainly because it was online. However, I am exited to be taking calculus II and I am hoping for this semester to be different.

5. Jaquawn Miller

Hello,

My Name is Jaquawn Miller. I apologize if there are duplicate submissions of this post. So basically, I am an Mechanical Engineering student but I have interest in other fields of engineering. When I am not attending classes I run a media business, invest, and produce music and film. I have never read a book that I hate/enjoy. I think this course will further help me understand the stories math tell. I think my weakness is the amount of new information that I can retain and I constantly am researching new ways to learn. Furthermore, I am excited to learn from this class.

6. Kate Poirier

Hi everyone who’s left a comment! I’m happy to read your introductions as comments, but the instructions ask you to submit your introduction as a new post, not as a comment. The reason for this is it will be easier for me to assign your participation credit later. Could you please copy and paste your introductions here to new posts according to the instructions?

After today’s class I solved the mystery of why only some students saw the + sign at the top of the screen: you need to be a member of the course in order to submit new posts. If you haven’t yet, please follow the first two steps above to become a member. Thanks!

• Kate Poirier

Hi again everyone! It seems like some of you still might not see the + sign at the top of the screen, even if you are a member of the course. I’ve contacted the OpenLab help team to see if they can explain why or fix the problem for us. If this problem interferes with your being able to submit your introduction post before Sunday, don’t worry! You can submit it later after the problem is solved.