Learning Experience

www.istockphoto.com

As a freelance graphic designer, my internship has taught me about having credentials and time management. Designing good/ effective designs is hard to do in the wrong headspace or environment. The projects given to me so far have been very interesting and informative. I agree with The Artest Foundation that African American youth deal with enough as is in the world and most of us are struggling with our mental health issues and don’t look for help for it. Creating designs that with meaningful and informative is a good learning experience and I don’t mind the long nights designing for good causes. Most of the time when I create flyers I find stock images to help bring the design together but the company doesn’t really want to copyright/ trademarks issues in the long run, so I had to rely on images that they provided. I’ve learned a little about website designing with other interns that also work with the same company, but I mainly like adding designs and pictures to the layouts. But It’s kind of hard to learn coding and in-depth details about designing a website via zoom calls. They’ve also been teaching me how to use Canva more than what I usually use (Adobe Indesign). I usually use a design but Canva has been more convenient for when they want to view it on their own time and make adjustments. Overall since I’ve been working here I’ve had to manage my time properly by equally sharing my days so that I  can create for the internship and my classes.

Author: N'Kaya Renford

As a self-taught artist, I'm open to creating anything in & out of my comfort zone. As a graphic designer, I help bring your brands' visions to life by designing aesthetic and compelling visuals.