ENG2201 Spring 2023

Hey everyone,

My name is Argelia I usually go by Naomi which is my middle name. I use she/her pronouns. I was born in Brooklyn NY which is where I spent most of my life. I currently live in staten island because rent is cheaper. My major is Law and paralegal studies, the reason I chose this major is my passion for law. One of the area of law I would like to specialize in is immigration. I have immigrate parents and I know how hard it was for them to come to this country. I want to have the ability to help people in need asking for asylum or just petitioning for a relative. Some of my hobbies consist of baking, traveling, photography, shopping “ my kids and I are always in target” , random little getaways, dancing, singing “although I’m off key”, love going to the movies, reading etc. 

Below is a picture of the two most important people in my life which are my kids. They are part of the reason I decided to come back to school. They are what keeps me motivated to continue although sometimes it not easy. I know it will be all worth it at the end. Although my life didn’t take the course I imagined for it to take I am grateful to have them both. 

I look forward to getting to know everyone and I hope everyone has a great semester!

All the best, 

Argelia 

1. Mark Noonan

Hi Argelia. Your interest in immigration law is an admirable one that you may be able to showcase in a paper on this very topic, which we’ll be covering this semester.

• Argelia Treadwell

Thank you Professor Noonan, I look forward to it.

2. Jamil

Nah cuz fr, ABOLISH ICE!!! And all of their supporters!

Thank you for getting into such an important and impactful field of study. We need more people like you getting out there fighting for and giving a voice to those that this country tends to deem voiceless. A country that for most of it’s history has had immigrants either as colonizers, slaves, or just folks coming here looking for a better life. So that ‘illegal alien’ s*** is just so weird and is typically deeply rooted in racism.

Also, I love going to the movies too! But I’m noticing I haven’t been since before the Pandemic!!! That’s crazy right? Lol.

Good luck in this class and I wish you all the best with your goals.

-Jamil

• Argelia Treadwell

Thank you Jamil, You’re right it definitely stems from racism. It’s sad because people are just looking for a better life not only for them but for their families and immigration makes it so hard for them.

You should go soon, the movie selection in theaters right now is pretty good. I recommend the new avatar movie. I hope you have a great semester and wish you luck on your career.