ENG2201 Spring 2023

huckleberry finn

In Huckleberry Finn we learn a lot about Hucks upbringing and surroundings. A key event that grabbed my attention was when Pap popped back into Huck’s life after not seeing him for a while. Huck was doing good, he was going to school and enjoying, he also had his money deal with the judge. Pap for some reason, wanted Huck to stop going to school and decided to take Huck’s last dollar to buy alcohol. This key event bothered me so much because as a father, who isnt really even a father figure to his son, completely took advantage of the only good his son was putting on for himself. To then basically kidnap Huck and hold him against his will far from home just to treat him terribly and bring Huck into his old bad habits of smoking and swearing.  Pap appearing back into Huck’s life was detrimental to the path Huck was on .

1. Mark Noonan

Nice discussion Jazlyn. I like how you pick up the theme of domestic violence in the Huck household — a large reason he needs to run away. It was a problem then (aligned with alcoholism) as it is now.

Please be sure, however, to post properly (for next week).

Here are directions:

GO TO “COMMENTS” ON THE TOP OF MY POST. SCROLL DOWN (past other student posts) TO THE TEXT BOX BELOW AND WRITE YOUR RESPONSE. BE SURE TO ALSO “PUBLISH.”