ENG2201 Spring 2023

Week 3: Mark Twain’s “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” (post due: Wed. Feb. 15)

Parents of Tyre Nichols at President Bidenā€™s State of the Union Address

Watch: President Joe Biden calls for police reform and pays homage to the parents of Tyre Nichols in his State of Union Address

Watch: My Video Lecture on Mark Twain (including post instructions)

View: Illustrations for Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1884)

Read: Chapters 1-8 (pages 1-56) of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

NOTE: AS I NOTE IN MY VIDEO LECTURE, HUCKLEBERRY FINN CONTAINS OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE. IF YOU PREFER, YOU MAY CHOOSE INSTEAD TO READ (AND COMMENT ON) A SUPERNATURAL ROMANCE STORY BY THE IMPORTANT AFRICAN AMERICAN AUTHOR PAULINE HOPKINS “OF ONE BLOOD: OR THE HIDDEN SELF” (1901)

Post: By Wed., Feb 15, post a response to a scene (or key lines) from Huckleberry Finn. Be sure to read prior student comments before posting your own (avoid repeating points but feel free to enlarge on points raised). 

1. anthony pietromonico

Throughout the first 8 chapters of the novel Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain there was a lot said that I picked up as key details that where worth sharing. We learn in the very being that Tom Sawyer And Finn had found 6 grand in gold that with interest would make them a dollar a day, but its later on states him didn’t like the money and wanted to be sent free from that burden so we went back to his “old rags” to which he felt free and satisfied. Then he joined Tom again to be in a band of robbers. I also learned that “snuff”a powdered tobacco that’s either inhaled in tiny quantities, or rubbed on the gum.we then found that in chapter 3 the gang was short lived, they stop joining up since they never did anything, the last thing they did was raid a picnic and just ended up with a few donuts and jam. We also get introduced to a Character named Jim,one of Miss Watsonā€™s slaves, who wears the five-cent piece Tom left for the candles, calling it a charm from the devil with the power to cure sickness. In chapter 5 he learn about more about Pap, we learn that he’s a drunk that acts him kid for money,and that he is abusive.

• Mark Noonan

Overall this is a very good summary of events in the novel, but what are the larger meanings. What exactly, for example, is so offensive about Pap, Huck’s father?

2. TASNEIM

We get a glimpse of Hucks’ thought process as the chapters go on. He is introduced to the religion by Miss Watson and Widow Douglas. Huckleberry comes to the idea that there are two gods after learning about a loving god from the widow Douglas and an unforgiving god from Miss Watson. Then hucks thinking is furthered by this. His methods of understanding are odd, but they develop as the story continues. Like when Huck starts talking to Jim and his viewpoints shift.

• Mark Noonan

Taseim, That is a great pick-up that in the novel we learn how Huck “thinks” but can you be more specific about what he is learning (and what we learn from him)?

3. Nim Tse

In these eight chapters, Huckleberry Finn experiences a lot of transitions in his life. From the story, we would know that his father, or Pap as he calls him, is an alcoholic who is drunk most of the time. When Pap returned, he was in rags, which did not scare Huck, as he was afraid that he would beat him. Even when Pap was not drunk, he treated Huck like dirt by not allowing him to go to school. It sounds ironic and ridiculous because why would a parent not want his son to get educated for a better future? Although Huckleberry Finn was not in a wealthy household, he was still privileged with this opportunity for education. At that time, blacks were less likely to have this chance to learn to read and write, so for Huck, this was an opportunity that he mentioned he liked. Pap acted like a fool throughout the encounter because of his ignorance and hate for society and those around him.

• Mark Noonan

Nim, Focusing on Pap and Huck’s lower class background is very interesting. You seem to be suggesting that Jim and Huck have more in common than at first meets the eye (how true). Both too will do their best to “escape” the society that “imprisons” them.

4. Eleonora Inoyatova

What Huck and Jim seek is freedom, and this freedom is sharply contrasted with the existing civilization along the great river. This conflict between freedom and orderly civilization forms the overarching theme of the novel. Some important lines were,

ā€œHuman beings can be awful cruel to one another.ā€ ā€œJim said that bees won’t sting idiots, but I didn’t believe that, because I tried them lots of times myself and they wouldn’t sting me.ā€ ā€œRight is right, and wrong is wrong, and a body ain’t got no business doing wrong when he ain’t ignorant and knows better.ā€

• Michael Paige

This comment resonated with me inasmuch as people view the concept of freedom very differently. The story is a detail of various characters seeking to desire their freedom from quite different forms of enslavement.

• Mark Noonan

Excellent point and wording, Eleonara. This is indeed a novel about achieving freedom — from society’s many claims and demands. Your quote on cruelty too is an equally important theme.

5. Argelia Treadwell

In the story of Huckleberry Finn there were somethings that stood out to me starting with him speaking about how he and Tom Sawyer found 6 grand in gold.  In the beginning Huckleberry doesnā€™t speak much about his family except that he was taken in by a widow named Douglas. He speaks about how rough it was living in the house. He chose to leave but Tom Sawyer mentioned he was going to start a band of robbers and he may be allowed to join if he went back to the window. From reading it seems like he is in a religious household and doesnā€™t really care for religion. Iā€™ve also gathered that Tom Sawyer wants to start a gang. He makes huckleberry Finn and other boys take an oath to be in the gang. During this oath is when I gathered some information in relation to his family that his dad is in the picture but comes and goes and is a drunk. By the looks of it Tom Sawyer doesnā€™t seem to know much about gangs besides what he has read in books. He speaks about the core values of his gang being murder and robbery. When he speaks about robbery he mentions ransom but he doesnā€™t seem to know much about it he knows it has to do with kidnapping and asking for money but thatā€™s about it. Tom Sawyer seems to have a wild imagination when it comes to his ā€œgangā€ having enemies that are magicians. Huckleberry Finn gets more into what he had to go through with his dad. How his dad physically abused him and how much of a drunk his dad was. Huckleberry Finn’s dad spoke about how many people in his family didnā€™t know how to read or write and how he shouldnā€™t either. His dad is under the impression Huckleberry thinks he is better than him.

• Mark Noonan

Argelia, I really like how you distinguish Tom Sawyer and “his wild imagination” from Huck, who is not only abused by his father, but much more down to earth, and questioning.

• Jamil

Argelia,

Yes, I would definitely have to agree that Huck’s dad was experiencing a bit of jealousy regarding his son and most likely thought Huck thought he was better than him. Thus him trying to stop Huck from getting an education. Really quite sad when you think about it.

-Jamil

6. Lindsey Aranda

One scene that stood out to me in the first eight chapters of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is when Huck decides to fake his death and escape with Jim down the river. After weighing his options, Huck decides that his safe escape would be to leave a note saying he is dead and that his body has been stolen. This act of defiance and bravery shows how determined Huck is to help Jim escape and illustrates how his moral code conflicts with the society in which he lives. At this moment, Huck is making a difficult decision to go against the law and the moral code he was raised with, but he ultimately chooses to do the right thing and take a risk to help his friend.

• Mark Noonan

This is a wonderful discussion, Lindsey, of what certainly is a crucial scene in the novel. Here we learn that Huck not only is similar to Jim and wanting to escape but Huck will go against society’s conventions and help his new friend.

7. Lubna Mojumder

Huckleberry Finn goes through a lot of changes in these eight chapters of his life. We would infer from the narrative that his father, or Pap as he calls him, is an alcoholic who is frequently intoxicated. Huck was not alarmed when Pap came back in rags since he thought he would beat him. Even when Pap wasn’t intoxicated, he treated Huck like scum by forbidding him from attending school. It seems absurd and paradoxical because what father wouldn’t encourage their kid to pursue a brighter future through education? Huckleberry Finn was fortunate to have this chance for schooling even if his family was not affluent. Black people were less prone at the time to.

• Mark Noonan

I like your conversation of Huck’s father maltreatment of him and how he doesn’t encourage his education. Pap too goes off on the fact that the government is also allowing African Americans to be students at colleges and even become professors, which makes him go totally ballistic!

8. John Michael Vestal

One scene that stood out to me in the first 8 chapters of Huckleberry Finn was the scene in chapter 5 when he finds his father in his room. He said that he was surprised by his presence, but he wasn’t scared of him anymore. He berates him about his clothes and going to school. He has him read for a bit just to knock the book away from him. His father seems furious and even jealous that Huck is in a house with a bed and going to school. He forbids him from going to school, saying he’d beat him if he goes back. He talks about how Huck is trying to be better than him, when Huck is just trying to live his life how he wants to. Lastly, he takes Huck’s dollar that he got from the judge to go get a whiskey. This scene showcases what a scumbag Huck’s dad is and how jealous he is of Huck’s life.

• Mark Noonan

John, I like your point that “Huck is just trying to live his life how he wants to”, which society is letting him. The same is certainly true of Jim, who is Huck’s double in so many ways.

9. aisha choudhry

Huckleberry Finn goes through a lot of changes in his life over the course of these eight chapters. According to the storyline, his father, or Pap as he addresses him, is an alcoholic who is usually drunk. When Pap returned, he was dressed in dirt, which did not frighten Huck because he was terrified Pap would beat him. Even when Pap wasn’t drunk, he treated Huck like dirt by refusing to let him go to school. It appears paradoxical and stupid, because why would a dad not want his son to receive an education in order to have a better future? Despite Huckleberry Finn did not come from an affluent family, he was nonetheless fortunate to have this educational opportunity, since blacks were less likely to have this opportunity to learn to read and write at the time. Huck faces a difficult decision to break the law and violate his moral code, but he ultimately chooses to do the right thing and take a risk to help his friend.

• Mark Noonan

Aisha, nice overall reading of this work. I particularly like you final point that “Huck faces a difficult decision to break the law and violate his moral code, but he ultimately chooses to do the right thing and take a risk to help his friend.” This is very much a moral work — designed to speak out against cultural norms and beliefs that Huck is going to learn need to be discarded.

10. Wilson Wong

In Chapter 3 where ā€œPap he hadnā€™t been seen for more than a year, and that was comfortable for meā€, got me thinking. The fact Pap is an alcoholic father means Huckleberry did not had a happy childhood. He was miserable and always in fear he might get abused. The fact Huckleberry wore a one-button overall and go barefoot without shoes explains his reasoning not wanting to see his father. Huck wanted to live a normal life where he can act whenever he wants to. Many people in the developing countries and developed world where those live in poverty can relate to that. Huck sees Tom, despite his flaws, as a partial lifeline to him becoming an independent individual. Heā€™s aware that he needs to look after himself when he gets older and thatā€™s why he chose to believe in religion from Mrs. Watson. It is a way for him to move on from his past (Pap), get an education so he can make rational choices in life and be self-sufficient.

• Mark Noonan

This is a very careful and interesting reading Wilson. Huck indeed is from a class that is generally overlooked and mistreated. Tom (and his Aunts) seem to be his “ticket” to a higher status and freedom. The problem as he learns is that the value system of their world is immoral and he will need to flee from it as we see by chapter 8.

11. Linnette

Linnette Fermin

In ā€œThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finnā€ we see how Huck who comes from low levels of society escapes his drunk father and gets taken in by widow Douglas who tries to reform him to fit in the higher level of society. Huck remains independent and escapes with Jim. Chapters 5 and 6 stood out more to me because they focus on society and Hucks’s refusal to change. As shown in these chapters huck distrusts society and its morals, he wants to break away from society’s morals and make his own decisions without hypocrisy. One quote that speaks out on the theme of freedom is shown in this book ā€œ Jim, this is niceā€™, I says. ā€˜I wouldn’t want to be nowhere else but here.ā€™ā€ 

• Mark Noonan

Linnette,

You hit on a central important theme here:

As shown in these chapters, Huck distrusts society and its morals. He wants to break away from societyā€™s morals and make his own decisions without hypocrisy.”

Well said.

12. Michael Paige

Maybe it was the way language has evolved since the time of writing of this novel. Maybe it was because of the numerous different jumps of placement from scene to scene. Unfortunately, I did not find this book as engaging as presented as the classic that it is reveled to be. The one thing I will say, is that it detailed the notion of slavery in many different forms. From the description of Huck’s life of dependance on the Christian lady, to the latter part of him being recouped and led in a life of servitude by his father. It also showed a look into the life of the African American man who would become his partner and how he fought to escape traditional slavery. One other form of slavery detailed is the boys joining of the group. Although the initial joining of the group is voluntary the obligations outlined in the submission create another synapsis of a slave mentality. I also think the group’s leader develops an enslaved brain to the stories that he has read believing that they are true. I believe that the pattern shown here will develop throughout the book as these characters each find ways to break from their systems of enslavement.

• Mark Noonan

You are touching on some pretty deep and important themes in your post, Michael. This novel (written so freely in the voice of Huck) is actually about various forms of imprisonment within society. Huck is imprisoned by the upscale rules of civilization; Jim is enslaved; and Tom is a fool – too caught up in his own fantasies. Huck will need to escape and learn a more realistic and moral approach to life.

13. Ceci

In Mark Twain’s Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, he tells a story of two individuals who endeavor to live as free men, more importantly, to escape the severe suffering of their everyday lives. I found that reading this story in todays time and culture, it’s easy to judge characters as morally good or bad. When imagining Huck’s perspective and the only life he’d known, I was able to understand why he was conflicted. When I first read this book in school, I questioned the struggle Huck faced with his conscience. After coming back to this story, I now better understand Twain’s depth of exploring human nature. Though Huck had feelings of guilt of helping Jim, it was ultimately his actions that truly made a difference. I think Twain was trying to explore how morality and virtues are things that grow and evolves through adversities and risk.

• Mark Noonan

Ceci, I’m so glad you’re coming back to this text and picking up these nuanced points.

You are so right: the novel shows “Twainā€™s depth of exploring human nature” particularly in how Huck grapples with the rules of society and the moral pricks of his conscience. Nicely explored.

14. Jamil

Chapter eight of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn really popped out at me for some reason. Iā€™m thinking it has a lot to do with how Huck and Jim interact as they both find each other on the run. This part of the chapter really serves to highlight for me this sort of dichotomy or duality between the two. They come from two completely different worlds that seem to converge on each other all at once in this scene. What I find particularly interesting however, are the roles they begin to occupy after they interact on a deeper level; One that they obviously hadnā€™t before. From the outset, you can tell that Huck just hadnā€™t really thought much of Jim before this. But once Jim started showing how much he knew about superstition, the societal rules and norms that theyā€™d been conditioned and indoctrinated by, sort of fell away for a moment as Huck subconsciously puts Jim on this authoritative pedestal saying that ā€œHe knowed all kinds.ā€ This scene at least, transcended racial barriers as he was able to see Jim as a human being with value. This was really interesting to me just in terms of understanding the history and brutal legacy that chattel slavery entails. Iā€™m again reminded of what was done to us. Iā€™m reminded of White Americaā€™s general consensus on what they thought about Black people and how those thoughts influenced their behavior. With this in mind, I find it hard to imagine any slave owner or their children in this instance, to ever see a Black person in this light for any reason. As I keep reading, with or without it the derogatory racial epithets that conjure up familiar feelings of anger and resentment, it becomes more clear to me why The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is still a classic piece of American literature.

• Mark Noonan

Jamil, Your commentary on Huckā€™s interaction with Jim reminds me a lot of Toni Morrisonā€™s great book on the subject (Playing in the Dark). In it, she speaks on how such interracial give-and-takes are ā€œcentral to any understanding of our national literature.ā€ Another great critic (Robert Oā€™Meally) describes the work as Huckā€™s own book of blues. Your thoughts are similarly compelling.

15. Akmaral Aitzhanova

Week 3, Huckleberry Finn

One quote, from the 8 chapters that we were assigned to read, that stood out to me was an interaction with Jim that Huck was reminiscing about.

ā€œJim said bees wouldnā€™t sting idiots; but I didnā€™t believe that, because I had tried them lots of times myself, and they wouldnā€™t sting me.ā€

I feel like this quote reveals a lot about Huckā€™s character not only from how his thought process works but also his view on himself. Itā€™s obvious that throughout the course of the novel the boy is perceived by majority of the town as a little hooligan with not exactly the brightest of heads on his small shoulders. Itā€™s something readers are aware of even without reading ā€œThe Adventures of Tom Sawyerā€ that stays consistent with Huckā€™s character throughout the whole story but itā€™s different to see that he applies views of others to himself as well and degree to which he believes it. One might interpret that scene as Huck being convinced so badly that he is indeed an idiot, he was willing to let the bees sting him to prove that point. As much as this little moment is filled with boyish endearment, it leaves a certain bitter aftertaste when you think about the fact that Huck thinks of himself as not smart simply because he was repeatedly told as such by practically everyone around him when it is not exactly the case.