Week 8: 10/11 (No Class), 10/13 (due 10/17)

John Lewis and the March on Washington speech he never gave - Vox

Unit 2: Reflective Annotated Bibliography (Good Trouble)

• View and write down main ideas:  John Lewis,   CCNY 2019 Commencement Speech
  • Read and write down main ideas: John Lewis, “Together, You Can Redeem the Soul of Our Nation”
  • Understanding-Unit-2 PPT
  • Answer below:
    • 1. After reading Lewis’s editorial and watching his CCNY speech, what ideas do you think are important?  What does he mean by good trouble? Do you think you have ever pursued, or wanted to pursue, good trouble in your own life?
    • 2. Write a 1-paragraph Unit 2 topic proposal: what you’re thinking of writing about, why you’re interested in it, what you think or know about it already, and some potential questions you have.

1. Justin Lin

1. Lewis’s speech has gave me an impression of no matter how many times he was arrested he was able to do changes of what he was able to do. Such as when black and white were separated and not be allowed to seated together but then as time pass the law was changed. Lewis was inspired by Martin Luther King, Jr., to get good trouble by trying to changing for the world to be better than before. There is everyone who has a voice to raise up to change the future and must be concerned for the affairs of all humankinds. I would want to be pursued a good trouble in my own life since I believe that it’s a good thing to do something right for the world and change what is right for all humankinds because all human should be equal to one another.
    2. Right now I don’t know what to write for my topic but I am interested of what Lewis was trying to change the world by making a necessary trouble for a better cause to change a people’s view that we are all humankind beings.

• Caroline Chamberlin Hellman

Hi Justin,
      Thanks for this. I encourage you to think further about what you’d like to explore for Unit 2, as we’re starting our research this week. What are some possible topics that interest you, and why? From there perhaps we can narrow it down.

2. Alioune Haydara

1. After reading Lewis’s editorial and watching his CCNY speech, There were a couple of ideas that I thought are important. From the video, one important idea is when he talks about how he was getting arrested multiple times. This shows that he never gave up and never lost hope. He could’ve given up after getting arrested a few times, but he didn’t. This is important because you have to have faith in yourself and what you believe in. Another important idea is when he starts off his speech talking about growing up and where he’s from. This is important because you can never forget what you started with and where you are from. If it wasn’t for what he has been through and what he started with, he wouldn’t have been who he was. From the editorial, One idea that stuck out to me was the quote, “When you see something that is not right, you must say something. You must do something.” This quote stuck out to me because it is easy to say but not easy to do. We live in a place where people would know something is not right, but choose to do nothing about it (Especially the people who are in power to make a change). Some people are just afraid to do something because of the risk of a bad consequence. When John Lewis talks about good trouble, He is talking about getting in trouble for a good reason. For example, He was getting arrested for to make a change and help his people. I don’t think I have gotten into good trouble or pursued good trouble, But when it comes to bad trouble I’m a veteran.

2. I’m not gonna lie, I have not been thinking about Unit 2. I don’t know yet what I will write about. I’m will brainstorm and think of something. One topic I may write about is climate change. I’m interested in this issue and it’s very important, especially with technology constantly developing.

3. PATRICE CLARKE

Patrice Clarke

. “Go in peace, with love never hate as Dr king said hate is too heavy a burden to bear the better way is love. The better way is peace, the better way is the philosophy of nonviolence.” After reading John Lewis’ editorial and watching his speech I found this quote from his speech intriguing and very important because I believe time violence isn’t always the option. The way John Lewis kept his character even after his character was being tarnished. Yes, I think I have pursued good trouble in my life. Yes, I have always wanted to pursue good trouble in my life. I believe standing up for what you believe in is important because you might be inspiring others to also speak up.

I want to write about gentrification in the flatbush area. I’m interested in the topic of gentrification because it’s been around for years but never seems to go away for good and it’s doing more harm than good to the communities and families that are affected by this. I know that Brooklyn is the most gentrified borough in NYC. I know that many people believe that gentrifying a neighborhood is “doing the community a favor” but I think their reasons are fallacious. Do these people move into these neighborhoods because they care for the community? Do they understand the impact?

• PATRICE CLARKE

Hey just wanted to let you know that this is the official one. The first one I submit had errors.

4. Hamlet

“Like so many young people today, I was searching for a way out, or some might say a way in, and then I heard the voice of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on an old radio.” John Lewis’s speech was contained with few interesting ideas being one that he never lost hope even though he was fighting through adversity most of his young life especially with him getting arrested on multiple occasions at a young age and he never gave up always kept chasing the light he saw at the end. This is great coming from him because it proves to others like myself that you should never give up and always keep faith in yourself and you will get done whatever is in your way no matter the situation. I don’t think that I have ever pursued ” good trouble” in my life even though I hope to one day. I definitely would want to because I’m the type of person that once I have all the facts correct I defend my point to the end no matter the person on the other side of the fence and that’s why I feel I would be the perfect person for a job like that.

I don’t have a certain topic in mind but I have things that interest me such as gentrification, small businesses in need, ex cons trying to re establish themselves in the world, and etc.

5. Naomi

In his CCNY speech, John Lewis Main’s idea was to get into trouble, good trouble, necessary trouble. To be courageous, bold and brave, to think about the future and to fight for your rights and education.
    The good trouble I wanted to pursue in my life is to fight for the rights of the “Talibés” in Senegal.

In Senegalese society, the marabouts have a very important place and the tradition of the talibes cannot be called into question so easily. This is why real work must be carried out in collaboration with the marabouts and the Senegalese population because everyone is an accomplice.
    How did a practice so prized in the past take such a dismal turn? What is the state of Senegal doing in this situation? What is the role of the population in this practice? One thing is certain is that we are all accomplices.

6. Redoham Ahmed

1. After reading Lewis’s editorial and watching his CCNY speech, there are a couple of ideas that I think are important. In his speech, he mentioned he got arrested 40 times, but he never lost hope and still he was able to make changes. As he said, White and Black people were separated, doctors, ministers,could not be seated together on a bus, on a train traveling through but when the time passed the law was changed. When he talks about good trouble, he means a kind of trouble you could be proud of or getting in trouble for a good reason. I want to pursue good trouble in my life. I believe that it’s the right thing or good thing to do, by being involved in the affairs of all humankind. Because an educator once said,“you should be ashamed to die before you win some victory for humanity”.We must save this planet no matter what. I want to stand out and speak up for the world. I believe by standing up you could inspire others around the world.
    2. I am thinking of writing about “ How are New Yorker’s Participating in Black Lives Matter ”. I am interested in the topic of “Black Lives Matter” because I always wanted to know about this or write about this topic. One thing I know that Americans like to act honestly, especially when things go wrong with humanity, they want to show their actions. I want to know about this more and I am very excited to research about this topic.

7. Raiven Lovett Frazier

1.) After reading and watching John Lewis explain why good trouble is necessary in this world today, I understand what he means when he say getting in trouble when necessary can make a change to this world. I think some important ideas he mentioned is how colored people were treated back in the 1900’s. Colored people had no rights, were treated differently like certain things they used were different then whites and got beaten and arrested for for defending themselves. He also mentioned how he met Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King J and was inspired by how brave and bold they’re and how they stood up and spoke up and out for themselves ; how they were willing to get into good trouble for colored peopled to have more rights and freedom today. John Lewis states that it is for us to stand up for what’s right into get into good trouble when necessary to make changes to something that isn’t right but always through peace and love. I have never thought of pursuing good trouble in my life but after reading what I read in class I do want to understand how the cost of living is supposed to be secure for someone with a minimum wage job.

2.)I want to write about the cost of living and minimum wage not being enough for a person to be financially stable in New York City. It’s not affordable live in New York with the minimum wage they offer. People working minimum wage cant afford an apartment in New York and people are always behind on rent and bills. Im very interested in this topic because I think it’s unfair to people who don’t know how live properly when the government system doesn’t teach that . I want to know how rent is so high and we don’t get paid enough to live ?, why must rent be 40 times the income for a family ?, why we wasn’t taught about cost of living and credit and budgeting money ? These things are very important for one tone financially stable. I want to know is there a better plan for New Yorkers to find better housing and be more financially stable.

• Caroline Chamberlin Hellman

Good topic to pursue, Raiven. There has been a lot of coverage lately on this issue especially as it relates to the pandemic and people losing their jobs and then being evicted. But of course it predates 2020.

8. diaa

After reading Lewis’s editorial and watching his CCNY speech. Martin Luther involved him in Humans Rights Violations to help him to make a good life for the people. In speech he said he got arrested 40 times. He was so brave that he did not stop what he was doing after he got arrested. He was not care how many times he got arrested. He was talking about he got arrested like a time or twice in his life not 40 times. He was not care how many times he got arrested because he was fighting for a cause. John Lewis was meaning when he talked about good trouble. He was meaning you can be in a trouble but for a good reason. Like he did he was in a trouble because he was fighting for good life for the people. I would like to purse in a good trouble in my life like John Lewis did he made the history talked about him that’s a very good thing. I would like to fight for the Palestinian cause against the Israeli Occupation. Sometimes I feel I wanna to take a weapon and kill the Israeli Soldiers. Who killed the Women and the Kids and kicked the people out from their home.

I wanna to write about Palestinian cause against the Israeli occupation. I’m interested in the topic because I wanna to talk about what Israeli Soldiers do. They killed the innocent women and kids. When the Palestinian talk about their rights Israel detained them in the prison.

• Caroline Chamberlin Hellman

Hi Diaa,
      This is an important human rights issue. I would say one thing to think about- that John Lewis advocates non-violence. It’s an interesting thing to think about as it means responding without violence to violence, just as he did. Complicated. I think you have an important topic to pursue and in your writing you can really confront the issue. Do you know what time frame you’d want to focus on?

9. steven zhu

After reading Lewis’s editorial and watching his CCNY speech. there are few idea are important like never give up and dont lose your hope, different people people were separated, and the good trouble that was been talk to us was when the trouble that can make you proud for and an educator say”you should be ashamed to die before you win some victory for humanity”
    i mean i really have no idea what topic i have to do right now so can you help me a bit?

• Caroline Chamberlin Hellman

Hi Steven,
      Unit 2 is really about something you’re interested in and passionate about, so I’d suggest making a list of a few items and going from there. Since the bibliography is due this weekend, I encourage deciding on a topic right away. Let me know what some of your thoughts are and I can try to help you narrow it down.

10. Armxnd

In the wake of perusing Lewis’ publication and watching his NY discourse, There were a
    several thoughts that I thought are significant. From the video, one significant
    thought is the point at which he discusses how he was getting captured on numerous occasions. This shows that he never surrendered and never lost expectation. He could’ve surrendered after getting captured a couple of times, however he didn’t. This is significant on the grounds that you have to have confidence in yourself and what you trust in. Another significant thought is at the point when he gets going his discourse looking at growing up and where he’s from. This is significant in light of the fact that you can always remember what you began with and where you are from. If not for what he has experienced and what he begun with, he wouldn’t have been what his identity was. From the publication, Oneidea
    that stood out to me was the statement, “When you see something not right,
    you should say something. You should accomplish something.” This statement stood out to me since it is not difficult to say yet difficult to do. We live in where individuals
    would realize something isn’t right, however decide to fail to address it
    (Particularly individuals who are in ability to roll out an improvement). Certain individuals are only hesitant to accomplish something due to the danger of an awful result. When
    John Lewis discusses great difficulty, He is looking at causing problems for
    a valid justification. For instance, He was getting captured for to roll out an improvement and help his kin. I don’t think I have caused problems or sought after great
    inconvenience, Yet with regards to awful difficulty I’m a veteran.

i honestly have no idea what to write about for unit 2 nor how an rab should go. I am looking forward to talking about it with you in our next meeting of course.