When visiting Washington sq. park, I always visit Greenwich Village and Soho. The walk shows the difference between the old architecture style and the new style. The difference between the two neighborhoods always amazes me and makes me appreciate it.

Upon realizing that Washington sq. park is a burial site for poor people back in the day, it makes me ponder that any place can become famous in the future. As we walk away from the park and enter Greenwich Village, we see the dramatic changes in architecture compare to other places in Manhattan. Many houses are Italian revival style with many emphases on the door. Some of the houses look the same, which makes me believe that they are own by the same developer back in the day. There is a lot of ironwork at the front, most of them are decorative. Many houses have stairs that raise to the first floor of the building. Some of the buildings also have rustic brick on the lower level of the house. The library and the church Victorian gothic building, but they are modified. The flying buttresses become part of the building instead of just support. They are weights on the top of the buttresses to hold the wall from falling. Those weights are also decorated. The streets are narrow and some of them are lay with stones like the mews in the NYU campus.

When we left Greenwich and entered Soho, we are greeted with a different vibe. This place is a heavily commercial focus place. Back then Soho was an entertainment place, but people abandon this area. It is not until the development of elevators, that many big companies start to move in. There is a hand full of buildings that are made out of cast iron, but not many because when cast iron crack, it can be very dangerous. The façade of the buildings is very repetitive. This makes me believe that the materials are pre-fabricated and assembled on the site. Some of the castiron is painted white to imitate the ironic column. The streets are bigger and more crowded.

Each neighborhood is unique and we should preserve the landmarks. There are many stories to be told and the best way to learn it is to visit and observe it.