Learning Self-Analysis

Nursing today is far different from nursing as it was practiced years ago, and it is expected to continue changing in a future. Registered professional nurses must adapt to new reality to have capacity to deliver safe, quality patient-centered care as well as to be able to function as leader educator, researcher and change agent.

I became Registered Nurse in 2010.   I began my job search soon after graduation from Borough of Manhattan Community College with Associate in Applied Science Degree in Nursing. However, despite my previous experience in healthcare settings and outstanding educational achievements, I was not able to find an employment as a RN.    I realized that to succeed in nursing profession, I need to continue my education.  BSN was the natural next step.  In January 2011, I began pursuing the Bachelor of Science in Nursing at New York City College of Technology.

The BSN program provided me with a new knowledge and variety of clinical experiences to prepare for the practice of nursing.  I was introduced to a wider range of competencies in such areas as health policy and health care financing, leadership, case management, quality improvement, collaboration and critical thinking.

The highlight of my learning experience at NYCity Tech BSN program was Community Health Nursing clinical at The Greenpoint Community Health Center.  This facility is associated with Woodhull Medical & Mental Health Center  and offers medical, social and nutritional services to people in Greenpoint area. This is pronominally Polish neighborhood with numerous undocumented immigrants. During this clinical rotation, I participated in patients’ health assessments which gave me insight into an essence of community-based care. I learned that community nursing is focused on health promotion, disease prevention and maintenance of health. Additionally, I ascertain the importance of cultural competency in nursing practice. The healthcare professional could not function effectively in this community clinic without being knowledgeable about interacting with Polish clients, who are overwhelming majority of patients at this facility.

Big part of my learning journey at New York City College of Technology was a wonderful nursing faculty. Faculty members were my learning guides, my mentors, inspiring and motivating, making a significant difference in my nursing career path.

Upon completion of the BSN, I am confident that I will be prepared to apply my comprehensive skills and leadership abilities in a wide variety of settings. Additionally,  BSN degree will provide me with solid educational foundation to pursue graduate studies.

If you’d like to give your ePortfolio a static front page and make your Learning Blog an item in your navigation menu, publish this page and choose Settings > General > Reading to change to a static front page of your choice.