My Nursing Philosophy

Philosophy of nursing states believes, values, attitudes and ideas in regard to health, disease, patient and nursing profession.  It endorses ethical values we hold and guides us in clinical practice. My nursing practice stems from Jean Watson’s Human Caring Theory which places caring for patients and their families in a main focus of nursing care. Watson emphasizes an importance of a patient-nurse relationship that is based on shared respect, trust, collaboration and consideration of their mental, emotional, spiritual, and environmental components.

Because of the unique patient-nurse relationship, nurses are the ones who support and advocate for patient and families. As a nurse, I pledge to deliver care in a manner that preserves patient autonomy and dignity.  It means to me treating others with respect and consideration.

I commit myself to values of altruism, integrity and social justice.  As a nurse I want to be empowered to do what’s right for the patients, providing them with safe, compassionate and culturally competent nursing care. Furthermore, I am certain that excellence in nursing practice is essential to the delivery of quality patient care.

Achieving this excellence requires a commitment to lifelong learning process that enhances knowledge and competence in a professional practice environment.  Professional nursing practice must respond to new scientific knowledge and cultural, political and socioeconomic changes.  Moreover, I believe in importance of evidence-based practice. Nurse should utilize best available evidence when making clinical decision and actively participate in research activities at various levels.

Finally, as a nurse, I commit myself to making a difference in the lives of patients and their families through my knowledge, expertise, critical thinking, caring and compassion.  I strive to practice in partnership with patients and their families, respecting their rights,  preserving their dignity, and acting in their best interests at all times as advocate and care provider.

References:

Berman, A.J., Snyder, S., Kozier, B.J. & Erb,G. (2008). Kozier & Erb’s Fundamentals of

Nursing. Pearson Prentice Hall : New Jersey.

Fowler, M. D. M. (Ed.).  (2008).  Guide to the Code of Ethics for Nurses:  Interpretation and

application.  Silver Springs, MD:  American Nurses Association.

Huston, Carol.  (2010).  Professional Issues in Nursing:  Challenges and Opportunities (2nd Ed.)

Philadelphia, PA:  Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins.