Learning Self-Analysis

Learning Self Analysis

When I enrolled into the Baccalaureate Degree Program in 2009 at New York City College

of Technology, I thought the program was a waste of time but I was also naive to why I

should obtain my BSN. In April of 2010, I was able to obtain a position as a staff nurse at

one of the busiest hospitals in Brooklyn. Unfortunately with this new chapter in my life I

had to put pursuing my BSN on hold for three years. Returning to school was not easy but

I knew in order to gain further advancement in the nursing profession obtaining my BSN

was the first chapter to close. During the first two years working as a registered nurse, I

knew that there was more to learn about nursing other than the clinical aspect of it. The

health care industry is a business and in the end we have to satisfy the needs of our

patients; we all have to learn what those needs are and how to resolve them as needed

through advocacy. My first year on the Medical Surgical unit was tough because I had to

get to know everyone who I worked with personality and how to work together effectively.

I returned school in the Fall 2013 semester in which I enrolled in the Leadership in

Management class which not only taught me about the health care dynamics/systems but

helped me to self-reflect on my own personal attributes. I have gain increased knowledge

in the other BSN courses that it makes me fully understand and appreciate the other

members of the multi-disciplinary team (case managers, care managers, social workers,

public health nurses, etc) because they all do play a vital role in the patients’ continuum of

care in the community. Over the years I have developed a knack for the management of

disease processes and teaching. Upon my completion of the BSN program, I do plan

applying to graduate school to obtain my Master Degree in Clinical Nurse Specialist or

Master Degree in Family Nurse Practitioner. One thing I must say about nursing the sky is

the limit.