Entry 1

The day of my interview required some deep breathing, and yes talking to myself in the mirror (self pep-talks may sound crazy but they do help with the nerves…well at least for me). I looked up the train times and planned my trip giving myself a lot of extra time so if anything were to occur and stall the train I would still make it to the interview at the set time. For once the trains were running on time and I had plenty of time to kill until my interview. I walked around outside, but not to quickly so as not to get all gross and sweaty on the warm day. I finally went up for my interview five minutes before the set time. While waiting for them  to call me in I was extremely intimidated by my surroundings and thought to myself there is no way I am working here! It is so serious, so grown up, so real and I am just not ready for this.

Once the interview began my nerves calmed down. There were two people interviewing me who made me feel comfortable and welcomed. They took a small peek at my portfolio (I think it was just more of a formality,) and told me what my role would be if I were to receive the internship.

A few hours after my interview I received an email offering me the position. I was still on the edge about accepting but I pushed past my fears and accepted.

The first day at Statista there was orientation where we heard what the company is all about, got a tour of the office and met people from the company, as well as the person that was going to be supervising us.

Statista, has various office locations with their main office being in Hamburg, Germany. Their Office in the UK has about 20 employees, their New York location has about 100 employees, and their newest branch is located in Paris. The following is how Statista introduces themselves on their website, “Within just a few years, Statista managed to establish itself as a leading provider of market and consumer data. Over 500 visionaries, experts and doers continuously reinvent Statista, thereby constantly developing successful new products and business models.” A more detailed description of the product Statista sells as described on www.eui.eu is, “Statista GmbH (Hamburg) collects and aggregates data from multiple public and licensed sources, including ACTA, AWA, Euromonitor, Gfk, Outfit, Scarborough, Simmons, Target Group Index and VUMA. Statista also generates industry reports, market forecasts and ‘toplists’ of sectoral statistics.”

I have been placed in the tech department where I do marketing design for them. Other than sticking to the Statista style guidelines I have the freedom when it comes to design and they even welcome suggestions as to what can be designed to help the department gain attention.

All in all, I am extremely fortunate to have received an internship in a great atmosphere. The employees of Statista are kind, respectful, and quite welcoming.