RAB Proposal Paragraph- Afrah Mohsin

My research question is how are young Muslim girls forced to wear the hijab? 

This topic interests me because I am a female and a Muslim who wears the hijab. The hijab is an important part of my life and it’s a way to represent my religion. I want to learn about other females’ experiences with the hijab and how they feel when they are forced to wear or take off the hijab. I already know that I know that in Islam women should wear the hijab as it says in the Quran. I know that some countries force women to wear the hijab. I think that some people look at the hijab as cultural not religious because in the Quran it says that you can’t force people to follow the religion. Some points that I plan to explore and find out more about are what countries force Muslim women to wear the hijab and why. how do Muslim women who are forced to wear the hijab feel about it? another thing I want to know is why some Muslim women don’t agree with wearing the Hijab and it’s a part of our religion.  

Moaveni, Azadeh. “The Protests inside Iran’s Girls’ Schools.” The New Yorker, 7 Aug. 2023, www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/08/14/the-protests-inside-irans-girls-schools.

3 thoughts on “RAB Proposal Paragraph- Afrah Mohsin”

1. Hi Afrah, Your proposal is done very well. The topic you want to research sounds so interesting. I think for the second question where it said to write why this topic interests you I think you could have added something there, like what you personally think of wearing the hijab. Do you like wearing it all the time? Do you sometimes wish you didn’t have to? Something like that I think would have been good to include, but overall you basically answered all the required questions.

2. You have a very interesting topic! I will be interested to see what you find out.
    Would your RQ be better if you rephrase as: Why are young Muslim girls protesting against the hijab? What is behind this protest movement?

Are women being forced to take off the hijab? I only know from the news that the enforcement is to wear the hijab

The news is currently reporting that women around the world are now fighting against the hijab as a way to stand up for women’s rights. Some women have been killed as a result of violent treatment from the “morality police” in Muslim countries. Even if you are a women who wants to wear the hijab, how do you feel about these women who choose not to.

Here a good article for you from National Public Radio, a very reliable source

https://www.npr.org/sections/pictureshow/2023/03/13/1157657246/iran-hijab-protest-regime-politics-religion-mahsa-amini#:~:text=Books-,Women%20in%20Iran%20are%20refusing%20to%20wear%20headscarves%2C%20in%20open,and%20oppression%20of%20its%20citizens.

3. Hi Afrah, I enjoyed reading your proposal and getting an understanding of what you already know, and what you want to learn. Are you trying to figure out why young Muslim girls are protesting wearing the hijab or the steps that they’re doing to protest the hijab?