Practice Reflection– Afrah Mohsin

I agree with the author’s information about how children in different environments perform differently. She states in the article that poorer children are more curious than richer children. I support this information because I have seen it in my life, I have seen the difference between richer and poorer children’s achievement. When I was in Yemen, I stayed in two different places. My family and I lived in the city, but we would go visit family members in the village. I was paying attention to how people were acting and treating each other in different places of the country. The difference I saw is that the children in the village asked a lot of questions, they wanted to know everything to be able to fit in the community. They wanted to know how their parents plant, and how to take care of animals. Another interesting thing I realized is that they weren’t afraid of trying new things or learning new things. Unlike the children in the city, they only focused on playing games and sports. I know this because I was one of them, I spent my childhood playing games with my neighbors. I wasn’t curious about other things than games and having fun. This shows that the poorer kids will be more successful in the future than the richer kids because they will get as much information as they need just by being curious.    

1 thought on “Practice Reflection– Afrah Mohsin”

1. Hi Afrah, I love the point that you choose to reflect on and how you connected it to your own experience. I agree that your upbringing can heavily influence the curiosity and creatively level that you have. Do you think that at the time you realized the difference in curiosity or you didn’t realize until you got older?