RAB Source Entry #3- Ariana Dominguez

Part 1: MLA Citation 

N, et al. The Sunday Story: This Is What It Feels like to Be Catcalled. 29 Oct. 2023, 

https://www.npr.org/2023/10/29/1198908962/cap-radio-this-is-what-it-feels-like-catcalling

Part 2: Summary 

On NPR News, hostess Ayesha Rasco reports on NPR news’s radio “The Sunday Story: This is what it feels like to be catcalled”. The podcast talks about Ayesha’s own experience on catcalling as well as other women’s experiences. Firstly Rasco talks about her own experience of being sexually harassed. She had been on her way to her doctor’s appointment when 3 white college students approached Ayesha and asked her if she wanted to see their male parts. At that moment Ayesha says she felt vulnerable and threatened. Rasco then continues the podcast with interviewing Terra Lopez asking her why she was so passionate about the topic Catcalling/Street Harassment. Terra Lopez goes on by explaining it all started when she had sat in her partner’s book club who were mostly women and non-binary people. Lopez quickly realized how other women began sharing their story on catcalling like it was a book recommendation. She then grabbed a napkin and sketched down her  ideas on how to make an art exhibit. In 2017 she was able to make her exhibit on men getting catcalling the way women would. Men came to the exhibit and listened to the disgusting comments women would get. She said men broke down in tears and felt bad that these words were being said to women.  

Part 3: Reflection 

I agree with hostess Ayesha Rasco and Terra Lopez on the NPR news radio, because nowadays women are being catcalled too often. To the point where it has become normalized. I can say catcalling isn’t enjoyable, on the contrary it’s horrifying and it kills me that men think this is something women want. From personal experience I hate when I get catcalled I feel vulnerable and fearful. Words that men say are just inappropriate and unnecessary. However, listening to this podcast I see that not every woman experiences the same type of catcalling. Some experience much worse like being followed or even being attacked.  But it’s nice to see that women like Lopez are trying to share awareness. I would recommend others to listen to her podcast. Everyone can learn from what is happening today to women and how it can come to a stop. 

Part 4: Rhetorical Analysis 

NPR is known for its News Public Radio, a radio station to inform others on what’s going on. Like Ayesha Rasco she is an American journalist who hosts weekend editions to Sundays on NPR. The genre of this piece is a radio news piece. It shares awareness towards women who experience being catcalled. The purpose of this audio clip is to get others to come forward for there to be an end to catcalling. Women constantly live in fear when women shouldn’t. This news radio piece is intended for all audiences and it uses pathos to have an emotional connection to the audience.

Part 5: Notable Quotable 

“Some guys playfully whistling at women, walking by a construction site, saturday live even makes jokes on it but the idea that this is just men being playful” ( Ayesha 4:30)

“ at the time I was so angry but also vulnerable” ( Ayesha 1:30)

“ If men can experience what females experience on a daily basis would this change their behavior.” ( Ayesha 7:25) 

3 thoughts on “RAB Source Entry #3- Ariana Dominguez”

1. Hi Ariana, I think you did well in your summary and explaining the main points the author is trying to express in her podcast. I think that in your reflection you should trying to add more of how you feel and your experiences and thoughts making it connect more to you. In the rhetorical analysis you should add why is this a reliable source and who specifically is the audience she is trying to reach also adding if she used ethos, pathos, or logos in her podcast. What the tone is would be good to add as well but overall I think you did a good job.

2. WRONG citation — USE THE CITATION MACHINE

Fix sentence errors throughout!

Your summary is confusing. It doesn’t clearly tell me what the podcast was about. Have you studied the structure? Do that and find the MI of each part. Then work on clear expression.

3. REflection: Problem: You are NOT responding to the points from the podcast. What you wrote in your Reflection could have been written without listening to the podcast.

Rhetorical analyis is poorly written and missing items. Here is an example of a poorly written sentence that doesn’t make sense and does not establish credibility for NPR: NPR is known for its News Public Radio, a radio station to inform others on what’s going on.