RAB Source Entry 1- Vanessa Marquez

My research question is: Why should we ban cellphones at school?  

This topic interests me because it will talk about the impact of technology on education, student behavior and social dynamics. I already know that due to students using their phones to record fights, engage in cyberbullying, and browse social media during class and many schools have begun to prohibit the use of cell phones. Some points that I plan to explore and find out more about the thoughts of students have on cell phones ban. Do they agree that it’s a major source of distraction? 

Source Entry #1

Part 1: MLA Citation  

Singer, Natasha “School Cellphone Bans Are Trending. Do They Work?” October 31,2021 https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/31/technology/school-smartphone-bans.html  

Part 2: Summary  

As part of a global trend, Florida approved a law in 2023 requiring statewide prohibitions on students using cellphones in public schools during class time. Other countries such as China, Italy, and the UK have also taken actions into prohibiting cell phone use. A recent report by UNESCO, claimed that about 40% of nations have also applied laws that limit or prohibit students from using cellphones in classrooms, though some are exceptional to this ban such as students with disabilities and for educational purposes approved by teachers. In the US, there have been cell phone restrictions in classrooms for more than 30 years. Bans were put in place to deal with the disturbances caused by ringing phones during lessons. Supporters claim that by prohibiting phones it prevents students from sending harassing texts and browsing on social media. It also lessens the disruptions in the classroom. Singer stated, â€śProponents say the bans prevent students from scrolling through social media and sending bullying text messages, reducing classroom distractions.” The recent UNESCO report says that schools should proceed with caution, taking into account the role of new technologies in learning and basing their policies on solid evidence. It says, “Students need to learn the risks and opportunities that come with technology, develop critical skills, and understand to live with and without technology,” UNESCO said. “Shielding students from new and innovative technology can put them at a disadvantage.” This shows us that children relying on technology will decrease their chance of being more open minded and using their own critical thinking.  

Part 3: Reflection 

I agree with the information that Natasha presents because I personally use my phone at times in class either when someone texts me or is calling, which causes distraction and causes me to lose track of what is being taught. I see how many schools are getting involved in banning cellphone use in school. This happened to me as a senior in high school last year. Before entering school, we had to place our phones in these phone pouches, write our names on the side, and allow the school staff to “care” for our phones. Our teachers would complain so much that many students would record, scroll through social media, and talk and text on their phones. So, our principal took action and decided to confiscate each and every student phone in order for everyone to pay attention and avoid distractions. When the author said, “Proponents say the bans prevent students from scrolling through social media and sending bullying text messages, reducing classroom distractions.” I understood what she meant by preventing cyberbullying because there was a time in school where kids would send disturbing videos and messages of others. One question I have is what students think about the cell phone ban. I understand some children’s desire to carry their phone in case of an emergency or for safety reasons. It’s difficult to predict which students will stay focused and which will lose track due to their phone. 

Part 4- Rhetorical Analysis 

The author’s writing style is informative and objective. They present information and facts about the ban on cell phone in school. I feel like the author’s tone is neutral, she keeps it balanced allowing the readers to form their own opinions based on the information presented. Natasha’s intended audience is anyone interested in education, technology, or social issues.  This source is being written because It appears to be part of a ongoing discussion and debate about prohibiting cellphone use in schools. The author provides a historical context for the evolution of these bans as well as recent developments. The article is published in The New York Times, a reputable and well established newspaper with an amazing history of providing credible news and information. 

Part 5- Notable Quotables 

â€śStudents need to learn the risks and opportunities that come with technology, develop critical skills, and understand to live with and without technology,” UNESCO said. “Shielding students from new and innovative technology can put them at a disadvantage.”  

“Proponents say the bans prevent students from scrolling through social media and sending bullying text messages, reducing classroom distractions. Critics warn that cutting off students from their phones could disproportionately punish those with jobs or family responsibilities — and that enforcing the bans could boost harsh disciplinary measures like school suspensions.” Singer 

“Young people have filmed violent school fights and posted the videos on TikTok. Students have also participated in social media challenges in which they vandalized school property.” 

1 thought on “RAB Source Entry 1- Vanessa Marquez”

1. Your proposal must be revised! It does not follow the instructions and it is under-developed. Go to the lessons on how to write the proposal, use the paragraph template, study the examples, get to the tutors!

Review how to write a summary. It’s your job to decide what’s an MI and what is not! Review how to write a summary handouts. FIRST SETNENCE MSUT BE CORRECTED — we went over all of this in class.

You need your own original thinking in the Relfection and you must use the Ideas from the article to respond to. LOOK AT THE EXAMPLES!