RAB Source Entry 1-Eliel Espiritusanto

My research question is: How do eating disorders affect people’s image of themself through social media platforms? 

My research question is: How do eating disorders affect people’s image of themself through social media platforms? This topic interests me because as a college student I have seen many people get body image through different platforms just by the way people look or make them look on those platforms. Also, it is not because people get body image, is to make a voice and an improvement so that way people do not get sexualized and accused. Is to make a stop and prevent people from following those comments. I have been in many different situations related to this, in which I would get many manful comments by my appearance or even by the way I dress and since I did not have anything to do about, I just ignored them so that way does comments does not reflect to my daily life. I know that social media makes big impacts in people life’s because is not just a symptom of an eating disorder that is being brought to the public, it is a whole ecosystem in which is harmful for their body’s, their minds and the most important one is their own life. I plan to explore deep into the news and even resources that have being left out or ignored by the public and find relevant details which will change people’s perspectives about social media and the unpleasant habits that could cause your own life. 

Source Entry #1 

PART 1: MLA Citation 

Claire, Cain Miller. “Everyone says social media is bad for teens. Proving it is another thing.” June 17th, 2023, The New York Times Post.  

Everyone Says Social Media Is Bad for Teens. Proving It Is Another Thing. – The New York Times (nytimes.com) 

PART 2: SUMMARY 

In “Everyone says social media is bad for teens, proving it is another thing,” Claire estimates that to prove a point, there is little research to prove that social media is harmful to teenagers’ mental health, and there is not even a shared definition of what social media is. This leaves parents, policymakers, and other adults in teenagers’ lives without clear guidance on what to be worried about. Most studies look at platforms with user-generated content, but it raises questions about whether it matters if teenagers see posts from people they know or do not know, if they post or just view, and if multiplayer games count. YouTube is the most popular site among teenagers, yet it has not been included in most studies. 

PART 3: REFLECTION 

This article makes me understand that it is an increase of unclear guidance on teenagers using social media, and it is a terrifying thing. Claire is spreading worldwide, the fact that social media is a major event for criticizing teenagers’ manners in their life. We could say that social media is a very unique platform that as we know causes major unreliable thoughts about peoples perspectives of who that person is in their current life, which will cause those same people imagine things of themself that is just going to cause them negative effects on their inner self if which could prevent a major issue on their health and personality in which lead to eating disorder such as body image, low self-steam, loose of weight. and by having major problems that could lead to heart attacks, faintness and more.  

PART 4: RHETORICAL ANALYSIS 

The genre of this source is news report. The purpose of this source is to inform. The writing style is persuasive, and the tone is encouraging and formal. The audience is the public general reading. The importance of this article news report is to inform the major events that social media cause in teenagers’ life nowadays. They attract logos by recounting the logic and reasons of people’s perspectives and knowledge. The “Everyone says social media is bad for teens, proving it is another thing.” of New York Times News is a reliable source because the New York times credibility is big because they did a survey based on most used social media apps and the most affected ones for the teens in June of 2023, by identifying snapchat ,YouTube, and tik Tok as the ones most used social platforms. As it states in the text, it is hard to prove that social media platforms cause poor mental health, as must studies measure that not all have found any correlations.  

PART 5: NOTABLE QUOTABLES 

The surgeon general, Dr. Vivek Murthy, warned last month that social media carried a “profound risk of harm,” but he did not name any apps or websites. His report acknowledged that “there isn’t a single, widely accepted scholarly definition of social media.” 

With social media, the pesonal becomes the public in a way that a lot of kids do not know how to handle it. Even bullying used to be more of an isolated act. Even if it happened in the lunchroom, ten people would see it. Now a thousand people see it. 

Sandy Chung, M.D., FAAP, President, American Academy of Pediatrics; â€ťSurgeon General Issues New Advisory About Effects Social Media Use Has on Youth Mental Health” 

1 thought on “RAB Source Entry 1-Eliel Espiritusanto”