Rhetorical Analysis And Quotables – Jacob S

Part 4: Reflection

The article Berliner, Wendy. “Schools Are Killing Curiosity’: Why We Need to Stop Telling Children to Shut up and Learn.” Theguardian.Com, 2020, www.theguardian.com/education/2020/jan/28/schools-killing-curiosity-learn is an award winning education journalist as well as an extravagant author. Wendy wrote this article to explain thoroughly on how schools are highly affecting children’s curiosity. I agree with her opinions on how schools are killing curiosity because I personally can relate to a lot to what she is saying in the article. I believe that whenever I am in class and I have a question to ask the teacher, there are times where I or other students are being forced to hold off on our questions because we’re currently focusing on the lesson. I believe that students deserve to have more freedom to be able to free willingly ask questions in class without worrying about following a specific order and high time management. What’s even worse is that this issue is completely not in the fault of the teachers because they follow a certain curriculum in a certain order that was initiated by the principal and the DOE so there’s pretty much nothing they can really do about it. The teachers get paid by teaching the class in a certain order and if they were to show consistent signs of slowing, the principal may think they are too unreliable and get themselves fired for of it.

Part 5: Notable Quotables

“As soon as they are at primary school they have to shut up and learn. It’s not the fault of teachers. They have so many targets to meet.”

“Children should be prompted and encouraged to ask questions even though that can be challenging for the teacher”

“Children are born curious. The number of questions a toddler can ask seems infinite”