Outline (Photo Essay) β€” Bithiah

Genre: Photo-essay

The working title for my photo essay: “Redefining Identity: African American Youths Navigate Stereotypes”

I. INTRODUCTION

A. HOOK: Open with a quote from an influential person and how it relates to my topic.

B. HISTORY: I would write about some people who have died from negative stereotypes in the past.

II. PERSONAL NARRATIVE AND STORY TELLING

A. Personal stories of what some African American youths have gone through because of the negative stereotypes

III. ADVICE

A. How the featured African American youths overcame the negative stereotypes.

IV. PHOTOS

A. Images of African American youths who confronted detrimental prejudices, and the locations where they encountered them.

V.CLOSURE/CONCLUSION

I want to teach my audience about equality and diversity and how they can help break down stereotypes. I would demonstrate to my audience how it can be destructive to both people and society. I want to inspire African American youths to be proud of their background and culture and to never let negative stereotypes define who they are.

1 thought on “Outline (Photo Essay) β€” Bithiah”

1. Bithiah: From this outline, I can’t see how this is a photo essay. You sound more like you are writing an op-ed.

How will you organize the photos and the text? What SPECIFIC photos are you planning to take? Who have you chosen to be the subjects in your photos? Have you started to interview them to get their stories? I see that you used the Time Mag photo essay as your mentor text and that’s a good one. Are you going to structure your photo essay like that one? If so then I imagine an outline more like this:

• Photo of my friend Marc
    • Story of how he was racially profiled in a negative way by the police when he was out late walking to a party. Photo of a street where this happeed.
    • Photo of my brother John
    • Examples of statements people often say disbelieving that he is a student at XX Best University. Photo of the place (say cafeteria) where someone said this to him

AND SO ON…

Good title.

I envision that you are gathering some stories from people you know about negative stereotypes that they have had to face and getting some photos. Or course getting their permission first.

I do think this can be a very very interesting photo essay.