Title Between Two Worlds – Nason

I choose this one

The year was 2017 and it was my first time back in my parents’ home country. The last time I visited, I was a little boy. Costa Rica seems like a normal country with some areas looking nicer than others, with that said there are many nice rural places there, and they have nice parks, beaches, and resorts; not to mention the amazing dining areas they serve wonderful food. I got to meet many wholesome relatives. We would indulge in great meals, gaze at beautiful sites, and play tag on the beach. I was having a great time. But something was keeping me away from truly having fun.

The official language in Costa Rica is Spanish, something I don’t know how to speak. At home, I was rarely spoken Spanish too. The only phrases she would use was things like, “lávese las manos”, which translates to “wash your hands”. The problem I was having in Costa Rica is that I could not understand many of my relatives, although the older ones knew how to speak English, the younger ones, which I played with more, couldn’t. This started to make me upset with myself and my mother because she was supposed to teach me not myself. I was staying for my entire summer break. with my urge to learn and older relatives telling me I should know Spanish by now, I decided to get Duolingo. It was a platform where you can learn other languages and of course, I chose Spanish. After 2 weeks of the basics, I got impatient and even more upset because I thought I could get good quickly. The only thing I gain from those coursed where how to say “I drink milk”. Being in my supposed country didn’t even feel like it, I felt like I didn’t belong and I was not like my cool family. I felt uncool. I realized that practice makes perfect and patience is key. You can’t learn something overnight.

1 thought on “Title Between Two Worlds – Nason”

1. Nason can you notice that you are simply telling me. Instead you need to SHOW me by:

·     Creating a few descriptive scenes that take your reader there to see, feel, hear what you did. Perhaps you can SHOW me a time you were hanging out or doing something that young ppl in Costa Rica do. Show me the culture in Costa Rica and what your cousins and. You did together. Give me sense of what being in Costa Rica was lik. And describe you own sense of alienation because you could not express yourself adequately. Were you at a beach? At a natural park? Eating at a fun restaurant? WHAT did you do with your cousins? HOW were you feeling out of place? Remember this is an Eduation Narrative so — What did you learn in those activities, about yourself, about what’s important to you?

·     Remember don’t just tell me – SHOW me with good CSD to create descriptive language.

·     THINK back on the descriptive scenes of Malcolm X reading in the hallway light while the night guards were on watch. TAKE me to a scene of the cool things your cousins did and SHOW me how you felt out of place.  Create theatre of the mind for your reader.

You haven’t been keeping up with the HW. This means also that you haven’t had a chance to practice writing and trying out the techniques I am talkng about in class. 🙁 🙁