Intro-Jonathan

My name is Jonathan Robinson, and I am a freshman here at City Tech. I chose this school and class in hopes of figuring out where I want to go as an adult. As of right now I do not know what I want but I do know that I have interests in technology. I felt as though Computer Programming might hit closest to hope, so I chose that as my major. I hope that at the end of this semester I at least have an idea of what I want to do.

As for my family I am mostly African American on my mother’s side and Caribbean on my fathers. Even though both sides of my family have roots in the Caribbean I never picked up an accent. People would never guess that I was Caribbean because I never showed signs of it. However, whenever I told someone that I was mostly Caribbean they always asked, “do you have an accent?” or “can I hear your accent?”. I never understood why people were so obsessed with hearing accents but now I kind of understand. Its more about people wanting to hear your origins than the accent itself. I still do not feel a need to dwell into my origins as I am me not where I came from. But maybe that mind set will change further down the line.

3 thoughts on “Intro-Jonathan”

1. Hi Jonathan,

I really like how you were able to evolve your perspective on people asking about your accent and being able to view it as some people being genuinely intrigued on your origins. Moreover, I hope you’re able to figure out what career path is for you and think you’re doing good so far on taking initiative.

2. I like this comment: “I am me not where I came from.”

This makes me think. Sometimes I wonder if I am too particular about wanting to know someone’s cultural background. But as you point out, people are curious to learn about the person, and people often think that knowing a person’s cultural background helps to place that person. Of course we do not want to stereotype people. And that might be what you are responding to in that comment. And yes, we are all individuals and people should get to know us for our own individual qualities. You also point out something interesting about how people want to place a person based on an accent. More to discuss on all these interesting points that you bring up later in class as we go along in our readings.

This is a great px! Is it your high school graduation?

PLEASE FIX YOUR TITLE (it’s explained in the Announcements in my instructions for this HW).