Discussion Board 11: Considering Activities that Align with Standards

Prompt

Outline an activity you would use in your classroom that is aligned to a learning standard; using the activity as a starting point, determine the technology that can be used to conduct the activity and identify level the SAMR model it belongs to.

Response

Learning standard

NGLS.11-12.SL.1B: Work with peers to set norms for collegial discussions and decisionmaking, establish clear goals, deadlines, and individual roles as needed.

Activity

In their assigned groups of three, students will plan-out how they will complete a commercial electrical installation. This prompts them to collaborate in outlining the required tasks towards completion. This will require students to agree upon a reasonable deadline, develop a schedule for when certain tasks should be done, and agree upon which roles they will take during the installation. In a situation without technology, students will write the information on a sheet of paper, to then be posted on their workstations for the duration of the installation.

Technology Infusion Through the SAMR Model

The technology that I can infuse into this activity is Google Calendar. The calendar will allow anyone to “schedule reminders to help you remember to do something.  You also have the option to customize how and when that reminder is delivered.  It can either be emailed to you or pop up to remind you.  If you choose pop up and you have synced your Google Calendar with your smartphone, the reminder should pop up on your phone as well” (Hartstein, 2014). This would be great for this activity because students will input their deadlines, with assigned roles and tasks, into the calendar and be reminded when their certain tasks should be done. This would prevent them from falling behind. The calendar also “allows you to invite other Google users to share a calendar with you.  If you are collaborating with a team of people, this tool is invaluable” (Hartstein, 2014). This means that students will be able to continuously collaborate in modifying their plan in the case of any setbacks, mistakes, or similar circumstances. Also, this means it will allow me to keep track of how their plan is developing in real-time.

Overall, under the SAMR Model, the infusion of the calendar would be an augmentation in comparison to using a pen and paper.

Works Cited

Hartstein, D. (2014, February 11). 8 Reasons Why You Should Use Google Calendar. Retrieved May 16, 2020, from https://wiredimpact.com/blog/8-reasons-to-use-google-calendar/

Reflection

To me, the purpose of this discussion board was to show me that the SAMR Model is very useful when choosing technology for the classroom and that technology-infused instructional activities, aligned with learning standards, can heighten the effectiveness of it. Through this, I learned how to navigate academic learning standards and then correlate them to activities that I plan on using in the future. This helped me understand the connection between academic learning standards and CTE. I also learned that not every addition of technology will improve the learning outcome of a specific activity. The SAMR model makes it easy in the process of choosing technology with the intention of making an activity better. Due to these things, I will be sure to specifically address some academic learning standards going forward and actively using the SAMR model when choosing technology to add in lessons or activities.