My Brooklyn Alleyne_Andrew_26_17

The film, My Brooklyn by Kelly Anderson exhibits the thriving proof of gentrification at its finest in her home borough, Brooklyn. Throughout the documentary, the director gathers many different perspectives from the people both living in the neighborhood, residential groups, local businesses and politicians that are responsible for developing their zone.
The director’s study of her neighborhood began when she noticed the steady decrease of diversity in her area, Park Slope. It was then that she began to evaluate the various forces that combine to develop a city’s character. Ms. Andersons film focused partially on the well-known Fulton Street Mall “revitalization”. For many years, its stores have been keen to serving its neighboring communities, Afro-Caribbean and African American folk. Through observing the shifting tides based on “redevelopment”, Ms. Anderson began to dig deeper.
Her study proved to find many relations between Mayor Bloomberg and many of the developers who belong to the Downtown Brooklyn Partnership. Their plans for the Downtown area were described to many as,” New Brooklyn” with added luxury apartments and stores. In doing so, the Downtown Brooklyn Partnership and its cohorts began to displace many businesses and residents without any consideration for their well-being.
My reaction to the topics raised in the film was perplexing. It was clear as day that gentrification was happening. In essence, if I were to put it in simpler terms, displacement of a community, friendships and livelihood were occurring behind people’s back. Gentrification of a neighborhood weighs heavy on the hearts of many communities. The feeling of being a part of a community and then being kicked to the curb is hard-hitting for many. Each side of the street believes that they are doing good by its people. I truly believe that the process of redevelopment can be handled in a better manner. Its imposers should be in constant contact with the community and adjust slightly to the communities and their standard of living.