Ethics in Design 1B

by Erwan Rivoal

Upon entering my first couple weeks on my internship at TANKindustries, I had to sign a work for hire agreement that disclosed many clauses that stated that I couldn’t share or post any of the artwork or collateral made for TANKindustries, unless the client gave permission. Also, all of the work that is made under their contract is not my property, it’s the firm’s. The great thing about my internship is that my boss, Jason Falk, is my former professor. He taught the class a lot of things pertaining to this subject and it was a seamless transition to the internship.

According to the AIGA Design and Business Ethics Handbook, respecting client confidentiality and intellectual property rights is paramount in maintaining professional integrity. Following this, understanding the Shepard Fairey copyright case, where Fairey used an AP image for the iconic “Hope” poster during the 2008 Presidential Campaign, has highlighted the importance of respecting copyright and intellectual property laws in my work.

“AIGA Design and Business Ethics Handbook.” AIGA, 2021, www.aiga.org/sites/default/files/2021-03/Design-Business-and-Ethics.pdf.

Fisher, William, et al. “Reflections on the Hope Poster Case.” Harvard Journal of Law and Technology, vol. 25, 2012, p. 244.

Published by

lau ash

Multi-faceted designer and illustrator with experience in graphic design, magazine production, writing and photography.