Ethics in Design 2A

by Jack Daly

The way that this has influenced my work flow in the future, it to make sure that any piece of art that is not my own is properly credited. It is also imperative to make sure to be completely transformative in your use of the image, otherwise you are simply making a derivative work that the original image creator would have rights over.  In the past, when I was creating my own online magazine and displaying local artists’ art I made sure to always acquire adequate information to credit them. I even went a step further and provided the reader links to their social medias.

In my internship at TANKindustries, the importance of giving credit to others’ creative work is paramount, reflecting ethical considerations emphasized in the Shepard Fairey copyright case and the AIGA Design and Business Ethics Handbook. While working on various design projects, I’ve encountered situations where referencing external designs, inspirations, or concepts is necessary. In these instances, I’ve made it a priority to clearly attribute sources and seek appropriate permissions when incorporating elements that aren’t original to our work. By applying these principles, I contribute to a workplace environment where creative contributions are acknowledged and valued, aligning with the ethical guidelines that govern our industry.

“AIGA Design and Business Ethics Handbook.” AIGA, 2021, www.aiga.org/sites/default/files/2021-03/Design-Business-and-Ethics.pdf.

Fisher, William, et al. “Reflections on the Hope Poster Case.” Harvard Journal of Law and Technology, vol. 25, 2012, p. 244.

Published by

lau ash

Multi-faceted designer and illustrator with experience in graphic design, magazine production, writing and photography.