Technology has impacted and shaped the future of art and design. Squeezing itself, creating a new channel, and broadening the horizons for artists to explore in the art and design world. Based on the three readings during the 20th century, we get a look at how these three artists show a similar view on the changes technology has made.  

In Marinetti Manifesto it speaks about the Futurism movement based in Italy. In this movement, it called out to artists that want to discard the past and embrace the dynamics of modern-day. While attacking the traditionalist, they sought out to break the preexistent norms. Marinetti used vivid imagery to tell a inspiring story to depict how the future will be. We can tell that he is fascinated by machinery and speed in the industrial age. He used the manifesto as a guide, a key to express how a something fresh will replace the traditional attraction and a new life will be born. In Marinetti Manifesto it tell us that modern day industry and technology will take over the art and design world. He states that we should take advantage of the technological achievements in an assertive manner and take action. Basically, telling us to embrace technology and use it to our advantage.

Aleksandr Rodchenko’s Who Are We speak about the constructivism period. This is a time in which mechanical objects are combined to create abstract and structural forms.  He strive to express that it’s time for a change that aims to influence artists in expressing themselves rather than serving the needs of society. Using your artistic abilities to create “constructively” so that society can benefit from it. This movement was to create order in a world full of chaos. Rodchenko stresses on the point “The first working group of constructivist”  referring to himself as a simple worker setting the foundation that it starts here with us. He wanted us to open our eyes and see that there is more than what meets eye. One can say that Rodchenko and Marinetti both had a similar view. Which is to embrace technology with open arms.

El Lissitzky’s Our Book took us on a different route to view the impacts of technology. He informs us how it influenced society. Expressing to us the material forms of book design and how it came about. At the same time predicting the dematerialization of it in decreasing the value of print and increasing the digital design world. He conveys to us at the beginning of the article “that art is a single event in time, has no evolution…Gutenburg the inventor of the system of printing from movable type…the highest achievement in book art”. I can tell that Lissitzky was a little saddened by the development. Since it was the first great invention and then it died down after the invention of photography. I fell that Lissitzky wanted society to build on Gutenberg’ printing press. Instead of waiting around, looking for the next invention to pop out the sky.

At first, I felt that he wasn’t into the whole change and the creation of something anew. However, as I continued to read I can see that he was looking forward to the future and what it enfolds. It’s like he foreshadowed that many problems will occur.  As a result, we should create, and build to enhance the future for the designers and artists to come. Lissitzky gave us an insight that with any new influences being brought about we will always lose some and gain some and that’s how the design world is. As we follow through he informs us about the letters, telephone, media, radio, and all great communication inventions. Increasing the level of communication, and the “material used”. Stating the time and effort it took to create all this. One can say that it is revealed to us how great and powerful communication is. It is a driving force with no hint of tradition, craft, or reminiscence on the past. However, it has expanded, transcend, and will continue to grow. Lissitzky complain to us that we have the tools to reconstruct the lives of many individuals. With on click, we can level off the playing field.

Today we can see that many problems have been addressed before we as the users came in contact with them. We are in a modern-day era that we can not only listen and converse in a conversation, but we can also participate and experience it. As a result, Lissitzky exclaims that this is our time, “Our Book”. Rodchenko states “we are the beginning, our work is today”.  I can tell you as a young designer I am often amazed and intrigued by the new revelations. I often find myself loosing myself in technology. That’s to tell you how powerful it is. Today there is always something new that arises and you have the urge to try it. How we interact with technology can make or break you. It comes with a lot of influences that can hinder you or help you. I think this will be the greatest challenge that we have to face and learn from.