According to Gropius, past art was lacking in creativity due to schooling. He claims “the academy” isolates the artist from industry itself and hands-on experience or work. I agree that school alone isn’t enough to teach creativity, but I find that such an obvious take on artists and their education. The entire paragraph explaining this is something I’ve understood before I started studying graphic design and advertising in high school. If you lack creativity, art school is going to be a lot more difficult for you. Gropius goes on to say, “On the other hand, manual dexterity and the thorough knowledge which is a necessary foundation for all creative effort, whether the workman’s or the artist’s, can be taught and learned.” While it’s very tedious, I think school is still a fundamental experience for artists. While not being able to teach creativity or talent, it’s still beneficial to understand the foundations and history of your area of art; it has the ability to enhance your artwork.

Moholy-Nagy was a pioneer when it came to photography and graphic design. After reading “Typophoto,” it seemed that Moholy-Nagy believed typography and photography should go hand-in-hand to create the most effective design and shape new art; they can and should work in harmony. He explains how photography can be highly effective when used as typographical material, meaning it can serve as a more precise visual representation so there won’t be much individual representation. Photography can be used as a secondary explanation of what the typography is trying to communicate, that way there is no confusion on what is trying to be told.

In Herbert Bayer’s successful attempt at a future art form, he founded the Universal typeface, consisting of only lowercase letters and geometrical forms. He explains this was to bridge the gap between people with different languages. He states, “​​For a long time to come we will accept the existence of the different languages now in use.” I don’t believe there will ever be a time where every single individual will only ever speak a single language. However, I do agree this will continue to pose a barrier, but we have ways to go around that, and Bayer has already showcased his way. Very similar to Moholy-Nagy, Bayer emphasizes the main way to bridge this gap is by integrating both text and photo. With the sense of context clues, visual representation, and a universal text, this way of communication becomes accessible to almost all. This combination went on to become the most effective way of communication within advertising, graphic design, etc.