Born in New York and raised in Dominican Republic.

Dental Hygiene was definitely not the career path I thought I would be in today. Younger me dreamed of being a singer, actor and then a successful pediatrician. Understandable of course, as a child fleeting dreams that change constantly is whats most common. Once I graduated high school I spent a year in Pre-med studies before I decided to move back to New York City. As a teenager I was just satisfied to think I had my whole life figured out and planned out. I returned to New York and enrolled in Mandl College of Allied Health and completed my degree in Medical Assisting. I wanted to feel close to the profession of medicine in some way, while I continued my studies. It wasn’t until I was working in the field, as a Medical Assistant, that I realized that something was missing. Day by day I realized that I didn’t love medicine as I once thought I did and it dawned on me that my hopes and dreams as a child or even as a teenager couldn’t possibly be the same anymore.

When living in DR I met my husband-to-be and he studied Dentistry. We never quite bonded over our career paths given that we weren’t in the same field. One winter vacation while I was in DR he had certain projects and models to make for school and that was the first time when I actually looked at Dentistry as something more to me. I grew more and more interested and I quickly fell in love with this new profession.

I decided to begin this journey filled with ups and down, sacrifices and dedication, challenges and rewards and the most fulfilling experiences Ive had. This program has challenged me to give the best of myself and more, it has helped me to get to know myself and to help me grow. This program has given me the opportunity to help others and to contribute to the community by volunteering and I will always cherish those moments. Not only have I found a profession that I love but Ive also found new friends that have become sisters and with their support, my colleagues, the faculty and my family Ive been able to make it through this lovely journey.

Thank you for reading about my story ! ♥
jj ggg