Colgate Smiles – Greater NY Dental Meeting at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center of New York November 2018

Volunteered and collaborated with Colgate ® Give Kids A Smile at the Greater New York Dental Meeting. My classmates and I enjoyed educating children on the proper nutrition for healthy teeth, singing songs and dancing with them as City Tech’s Cheerleading Group for the day.

fo

SERVICE LEARNING PROJECT- U.S. Army Recruiting Station in Brooklyn, NY February 2019

ff

My classmates and I went to an army recruiting station to educate on the importance of good oral hygiene and how this affects these prospective soldiers as a population, directly affecting their possibility to serve for our country. We used a mouth model to interactively teach these army recruits the proper methods of brushing, flossing and rinsing. We prepared a poster with images showing a step by step process and handed out brochures with this information as well. At the end of the visit we gave out some samples to the army recruits to help with the implementation and motivation for proper oral hygiene. I believe our presentation made a great impact. Attached is the brochure that was handed out to these army recruits, as well as an essay written for our Public Health class in regards to this experience.

brochure-2

Army Hygiene-3

League Education and Treatment Center- Give Kids a Smile. February 2019,  Clermont Avenue Brooklyn, NY

gk

The City Tech dental hygiene program participated in a two day event at a school for children with psychiatric and developmental disabilities. We screened the children and recorded data about their oral health and the appearance of Early Childhood Caries and taught them brushing. Some of the students were non verbal, but they each had their own way of communicating. It was a very lovely and enriching experience.

HEAD START EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM- Glenwood, NY March 2019

hh

Volunteered at a Head Start Program of Pre-K children from low-income families. Educated kids on the proper methods of brushing, proper foods to eat and the importance of healthy teeth. We presented the  Oral-B® “Genna the Giraffe” video as a fun interactive way to present ourselves and the topic to the children.

Glenwood Head Start Fluoride Varnish Program- April 2019

kids kids2

In April 2019 my class participated in a two day event at a ‘Head Start’ school for children of low-income families, located in Glenwood. We screened children for prior decay and any present decay in the oral cavity to determine the urgency of care each child required. After we screened the children we applied 5% sodium fluoride varnish to these children.