Ethics Assignment – 1a and 1b

1a. My duties at Giving Forward are to create headers and banners, as well create svg files from logos of well established nonprofit charities. Giving Forward provides me with the resources needed to create the files they would like to use in their advertising and websites. Resources such as, images, software (bannersnack), instructions and what copy that needs to be on the banners, and raw footage that needs editing (for those who edit videos). In order to accomplish this, they would have to seek out the rights to use said images and files for use in any and all design content. They would have to pay any fees that would warrant using said images to the photographer. They would also get into contact with the agents of the talent who’s image is being used. The three of us as a team did this in the beginning of the semester. We were given photos and info pertaining to musicians who were participating in an online zoom comedy event. My teammates and I are given these files to create this content for Giving Forward, and then Giving Forward publishes the ones that best fit their vision. Shortly after that, I was assigned to create headers for interviews that Miss Teen America Peyton May would partake in. Mr. Lee and the higher ups at Giving Forward have us using Slack as a means of communication amongst each other, the interns and Mr. Lee and his assistants. We send our files, final or not, for review. From there, they have the final say in what they want to see. From there, we send the final, ready to go files to Google Drive. I add my files in a folder labeled “Banners and Assets”, a folder created by Mr. Lee’s assistants. Any and all content I create for Giving Forward is their property. I do not own the images they provided me and teammates, nor do we own the other resources they provided us to accomplish said content. I am most positive that when we are done with our time at Giving Forward, any access to files and folders and such will be revoked.

1b. There was no Non Disclosure Agreement that I had to sign. I can speak for my other teammates as well in saying that. When doing the readings for this ethics assignment, I read about companies distributing NDAs (non disclosure agreements) to employees. Giving Forward is very lenient when it comes to certain things like that. Thats why we didn’t have to sign NDAs. Furthermore, I wouldn’t expect anyone who interns for Mr. Kevin Lee and Giving Forward to use any of information given to us for their own personal gain. My teammates and I have been attending meetings every Monday evening during the semester, and in those meetings I see other interns there as well. Discussions take place there about any updates and assignments and other company information. I guess there’s a certain level of trust that Kevin Lee had given us. We are just there to learn and experience how working in a team environment is like.