Feeling Frustrated – #5

We are now in week 5 of the Spring 2021 semester. There has been no update on my status for the internship at Giving Forward. I sent out my Agreement Form on 2/18, but still no updates on that. I texted the other members of the team, and they too are waiting for a response. We were getting worried that maybe the people at Giving Forward didn’t need us after all. We had this worry but we didn’t dwell on it. A few days passed by and, since Prof. Nicolaou has been aware of our situation, called me today, 3/6, at night. This call was placed between 7:30 and 8:30 pm. I began to worry, as Prof. Nicolaou hadn’t called me so late before, and it was a Saturday, but I figured it was for a good reason. I spoke to her very briefly. She asked about the situation and status of the internship. I informed her that we sent over our documents that needed to be filled out, and that we hadn’t heard from Mr. Lee or anyone from Giving Forward for a while, but we weren’t worried because we knew we’d get a response any day now. Prof. Nicolaou insisted I get together with my team and discuss the steps needed to ensure Mr. Lee and Giving Forward of our open availability and our eagerness to get started.

I texted my team and we decided to have a zoom meeting to discuss our next steps in this situation. I’d mentioned to them about the e-mail Mr. Lee sent us, the first e-mail where he introduced me to Luis. I remember reading it over the first time to myself and thinking he asked us to do work and to send it back to him. I informed my teammates and we read it over amongst ourselves. It turns out that the email was just general information. He didn’t give us assignments to do just yet. It was a rundown of what we are going to be doing for Giving Forward and how we are going to be doing it. Also, how we were to incorporate Bannersnack into our work. We saw this and decided to e-mail him right away. Looking back, it was a better choice to follow up with the higher ups at Giving Forward before making any assumptions. That way, nothing gets misinterpreted. We’ve learned from that mistake. As of this posting, we’ve sent Mr. Lee and the other higher ups of Giving Forward an e-mail essentially reminding them we are available and ready to work, as Prof. Nicolaou suggested. We now wait again to see how this goes.