Visual Quote Concepts

For this project, we were tasked to choose a quote an interpret it as an Image. The challenge with this project came when trying to emulate the same reaction someone would have when seeing or hearing the original quote. I chose to do my quote project about my favorite comic book villain The Joker. He’s been portrayed on screen and in animation many different times and I want to capture those portrayals through my work. The quote itself comes from the comic book titled The Killing Joke by Alan Moore and helps establish The Joker as a regular person who was dealt a bad hand in life and got caught up in shady things to protect his wife and unborn child. The Joker wanted to do right by the people he loved but in the end he lost everything he loved in one bad day …

Red Background orange figure, recreation of Joker movie posterThis concept is meant to be based off of the 2019 Joker movie starring Joaquin Phoenix. It’s a recreation of the poster that was used to advertise the film. During the process of making this concept I looked at all the different versions of Joker that have been on screen from the 1960’s Ceaser Romero, to the 1986 Jack Nicholson and the 2008 Heath Ledger but decided on the 2019 Joaquin Phoenix film. I chose these colors as they are taken from the suit that Phoenix wears during the film I put the text descending along the staircase to help show is mind descending into insanity. movei poster

Purple background with a green silhouette of The JokerThis is meant to be The Joker in his purest form. He’s resting on the quote which features a slab serif to act as as support for him. I chose to use the Purple and Green as that is The Joker’s color pallet I chose to do this figure as it is the essence of who he is, Prop Gun in hand, crazy hair, the tail’s from his jacket dragging behind him these are things as all associate with his character besides the pale white face and red lips. JOKER Purple

Sketch of the Killing Joke CoverThis features a sketch of the Killing Joke cover which is my favorite Joker story to read, The quote itself comes from this story and the quote has always stuck out to me. I attempted to recreate The Joker’s manic personality by having some of the “Ha Ha”‘s stand out in Red to help drive the madness of him into the piece. Joker 3