My Philosophy in Nursing

My Philosophy in Nursing

Janet Bowen

New City College of Technology

Professional Nursing

8549

Dr. Candy Dato

February 17, 2013

My Philosophy in Nursing

Philosophy helps me to exercise discipline that gives me reason and logic, its main focus helps me to understand reality and answer fundamental questions about distinct knowledge, life-  expectancy and morality and human behaviors in nature. Philosophy helps me to do soul searching in depth about what I want to put into the profession. It helps me understand clearly why I wanted to become a Nurse. It helps me to embody the process and be more committed

In Nursing, we come in to contact with people of various background. The staffing ratios also predict the same. We are able to relate and understand different cultures and focus on things present and improvement. Philosophy helps me to define who I am; I am able to extend myself to patients, and their relatives. In the Nursing the depth of caring is put forward without any strife it comes natural. As a Young Nurse in the medical Field my openness and understanding helps me to learn behaviors expected from the different cultures and to show respect. Each day as a nurse philosophy helps me to show empathy and not express my emotion outwardly when my patient is in distress.  With respect to the caring model involve in Nursing I am much better able to adapt willingly in many different circumstances

The Ethical Values in Nursing is do onto others that you will have others do to you, It is most often said that the caring we put out as Nurses will one day come back to be beneficial in the field.  I will maintain a therapeutic and professional relational relationship with my patients, while I continue to deliver high quality care. This will contribute to the manner that will help me preserve my patient autonomy their rights and dignity.   Ethical values helps me to address any situation or problem that cannot be resolved; this will be brought before the ethics committee. As a Nurse my duty will be to protect my patient and report any impaired, illegal or incompetent practice that affects my profession or prevents me from practicing safely.

I will continue to maintain patient confidentiality within the parameters provided

As stated in the profession Theory is “a creative and rigorous structuring of ideas that projects a tentative, purposeful, and systematic view of phenomena”. This makes it possible to “organize the relationship among the concepts to describe, explain, predict, and control practice”    Nursing theories that have made their mark in healthcare include ones presented by Helen Erickson who presented her modeling and remodeling theory in 1983, Virginia Henderson noted for her contribution to the very definition of nursing and was awarded the first Christianne Reimann Prize in 1985, Imogene King who is considered no less than a pioneer in the development of nursing theories and is renowned for her contribution to the system of nursing, Madeleine Leininger who is more than often regarded as the founder of trans-cultural nursing, Betty Neuman for the Neuman Systems Model in 1970, Dorothea Orem for the Orem Model of

Theories in Nursing are derived from Deductive reasoning and Inductive reasoning   are composed of concepts, definitions, models, propositions and are based on assumptions. Watson caring model stand first and foremost in everything we do as nursing, but I find that each one interrelate with each other.  The combination of all these models helps us become proficient in the medical field.

My beliefs and values is to treat my patient holistically. I will allow my patient to participate and input ideas into their care.   When I work with patient, I will allow my patients to help with some of their basic needs, physiologic needs, security and safety, self- esteem and belonging.   It would be beneficial for them to input some of their life experiences incorporate some of their personal life experiences, and alter my care based on those experiences.   I approach them with care and concern, being an avid listener. This will be beneficial to me and to the client obtaining back their optimum health. I will also respect the person wishes and hospital policy In DNR/DNI

What is most important to me is meeting the needs of each individual client, whose lives I touch. This helps me to make a difference in someone’s life in the medical field.  Doing what it takes to achieve the health procurement of the individual and going above and beyond in my profession to help my patients and coworkers achieve the optimum goal and self-accomplishment. As an Educated Professional Nurse and fulfilling the need as a Baccalaureate student will help me fulfill the role to accomplish this goal.