Community Health Clinical Journal # 1

Community Health

Date: February 7th 2013

The summer had just begun, and it was the start of community nursing at the CNR on church Avenue with Professor Thomas.  Most of the students who had registered for the course, I had known from the leadership Program we just took. Our biggest surprise came the night before our first meeting at CNR.  An email from the professor that we would no longer be training at CNR but Visiting Nurse Service on kings Highway. It was not an exciting moment for us because most of us lived about two blocks from the old site.  The first day we all had to keep our spirits high as we walked in to not so familiar learning methods and surroundings.

As we began to grasp, the essence of what was happening, we were given our own computers with codes and our names attach on to it. We then had to learn in two days to maneuver the different web area to assess patient information.  This would be our training for the summer in community because we would be partnered up with another student.  We had to interview patients do total head to toe assessments.  We also had to team up with one of the visiting nurse who was experience for two days.

During the rest of the semester, we made our trips to patient’s home interesting by taking the train and giving medical advice, like follow up with your doctor, monitoring diet weight loss and blood sugar testing.  I must say the experience was worthwhile from the unexpected to satisfy.  I would bring my experience to tell others that it was a beautiful summer after all.

As it is sometimes said not what we can receive from someone but what we can truly offer is something as precious as giving back to society as nurses.