Introduction Letter

Nursing Philosophy Statement

By Janet

Hello everyone, my name is Janet Bowen I graduated from the RN Evening Scholarship Program at Hostos Community college in 2009. I am pursing my Bachelor’s degree at New York City College of Technology.  As a young child, I remember tending to our house pet that had gotten bit from another dog. It was not a pretty site and I remember the special oil my dad would bring from work so that the wound on the dog would not develop maggots. I continued to take care of animals, for the love of it and just to see them get better.

As a young person just married in my 20’s I was given the opportunity to come to United States of America. This opportunity brought me in touch with a beautiful family in which both husband and wife were Doctors. I was given the opportunity to go with them to University Hospital at Maryland.  I was then left in a special area of the hospital while the husband and wife tend to business. When I looked at the environment inside and outside I saw beauty, I said to myself. I know what I wanted to do in my life.

I then return to My homeland Trinidad and begun my first Nursing course. I studied so hard, that I was passed all my courses.  None of the other students believed me when I said I was married and had children.  I graduated with honors and became the most outstanding student that year. I clearly remembered I went to work at the physical medicine Unit and I saw patients with many ulcers and the treatments rendered healed them.  It’s unlike what I see today stage IV’s, unstageables and cant heal.

The nursing philosopher of my choice is a young immigrant from Jamaica name Mary Secole. I chose her mainly because of her achievements as a nurse in epidemiology.  This young woman wrote to Florence Nightingale on so many occasions and wanted to join her as she was performing the same trade and mission in another country. Even though she did not get the recognition then the world is recognizing her now.

My main goal is to be a high achiever, although many responsibilities in the medical field waits, I truly believe that I will be open to suggestions and new learning. It’s always good to keep high hopes and continue learning all that one can and never give up.  Let the voice deep inside states you can do this!